PDA

View Full Version : Need some critiqs

CreatoN
07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Need some critiq on this paint. Its warrior from mmo game I playing. He wait for enemis thet you can see in forest. Any critiq thet help me improve thet picture will be very good. Thx

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GA4aowlwpSk/TEW2WDOBXpI/AAAAAAAAACM/XZCpQWGioy4/s1600/WA.jpg

Koruza
07-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Hello CreatoN i can't really fix anything on the painting as i'm not yet that good with colors, but i can give you 2 important tips

First is, try to avoid drawing things directly in front of your vanishing point as it can make it look very 2 dimensional
I also suggest you read a bit about vanishing points and horizontal lines on the web like wiki
See how i added a few lines to give the sword a bit more depth. (making the depth lines go to the vanishing point)

Second is called "the rule of thirds" (blue lines)
I also suggest reading about it on the web.
Basically it gives you a good idea of where the interesting things should be on the picture. In this case putting the man on the left vertical line might have been a better choice.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/cizimizi/rules.jpg

Ilikesoup
07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
There are a few things that could be improved on --

Composition:
The picture is leading my eye to a big empty space on the right side of the picture. I think most viewers would start looking at your character's back and then follow along his arm to the sword, completely missing the army emerging from the forest. You could stop that left-to right sweep by bending the warrior's elbow and holding the sword straight up. That way the viewer would look to the space between your warrior's head and the sword blade.

Contrast:
I honestly can't see a single enemy in the forest. Those trees are very dark so unless the enemy army is wearing all white or neon colors I won't be able to see them. Keep in mind that the further away something is the more muted the colors are -- black becomes gray or brownish, dark greens (foliage) are lighter, and the sky is lightest along the horizon. It will be very tough to show an army hiding in the woods so maybe they come rushing over the horizon to the right of the forest (and nevermind about changing his arm position). By the way, if you're going to put a mountain in a picture you might as well make it a big one, but the color should be just a bit darker than the sky -- that shows it's much further away than the crest of the hill.

Anatomy:
As for your warrior, he's really the only thing we have a clear view of. It would be a good idea to make sure his back is worth looking at. Give him well defined muscles so we know he can hold off the enemy army single handedly. Maybe give him an impressive tattoo that says he loves the sight of blood?

CreatoN
07-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Ok thx for this advises, both of you. I going to make the changes i next week and post it.

Koruza
07-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Oh wow i didn't notice the monsters coming from the forest, i thought the main focus of the picture was the man waiting for them to actually come out.
This completely changes everything i said.
Please ignore the part where i placed the vanishing point and where i said it would be best to put the man on the left vertical line.
Looking at it now i think he would actually look better on the right vertical line, because the monsters are already on the left one.

As for the vanishing point that's a bit harder to explain.
The reason i put the vanishing point in front of his head is because the guy looks like he's looking at that point instead of the enemies coming from the forest.
If you put the focus of the picture on the monsters, you should also turn the man so he is facing towards the monsters.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/cizimizi/perspective.jpg

CreatoN
07-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey, I make some changes you where given me. Want to show it.I change contrast of enemys in forest , now they should be better see'n, given more rocks and some little view od castle in center of image. Now trying to find some way of making ground and tress little better, becasue it don't look good at all.
Next advises will be very welcome. Thanks.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GA4aowlwpSk/TFBKwCcRKaI/AAAAAAAAACc/hYkT-DOtsK0/s1600/WA.jpg

Bwhitejr
07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
The composition is still awkward - your eye is led out of the scene by the arm and the sword. It's also a grid - everything is either horizontal, or vertical. This is a common issue for beginning artists, and it's a habit you need to break. Horizontal and curved lines create more visual interest for the viewer, draw the eye to the focal point (the most important part), and keep the eye IN the piece. By having angles in the piece, you create tension and drama - a grid is placid, and still.

Also, the pose is awkward. I know you want to show off the blade, but the figure is essentially pointing to his right, as if he's telling whoever is in the woods to "Go this way". It's a universal gesture, it's raw body language. It's also not a pose a warrior would be in, while waiting, his arm would tire after a few minutes. He'd be more likely to be in a defensive position, like a crouch, with the weapon held low and from the hip. if he were to hold the weapon up like that, he'd have it pointing towards the forest, as the wrist is not strong enough to hold a hunk of iron like that for any amount of time, especially in that position.

Nitpick: the grass under the blade would not be darker. It muddies up the piece, and I would urge you to repaint all of the grass the same color, and use your values (light and dark) to highlight the blade.

I'd also suggest some time studying the anatomy of the back, the shoulder, and the arm.

Bwhitejr
07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey, I make some changes you where given me. Want to show it.I change contrast of enemys in forest , now they should be better see'n, given more rocks and some little view od castle in center of image. Now trying to find some way of making ground and tress little better, becasue it don't look good at all.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GA4aowlwpSk/TFBKwCcRKaI/AAAAAAAAACc/hYkT-DOtsK0/s1600/WA.jpg

You went too far with the shoulder. You now have two biceps!

Bwhitejr
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Okay, refer to these anatomical drawings:

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/S/skeletal_muscle_groups.html

The deltoid is the muscle that covers the shoulder. It originates mid-shoulder, and flows over the shoulder bones. It bunches when the arm is elevated, but it will still flow into the neck/shoulder structure, and then into the bicep. The crease at the armpit is created by the edge of the deltoid, and the lats and teres on the torso.

CreatoN
07-28-2010, 04:33 PM
You have right about muscles. I was just made them exacly like muscleman see on foto from some www site. He was in same gesture like my warrior, then I make his muscles same way.
If have tomorrow some free time i try change view of sword and gesture, to be more like you sad, little more fighty :), and show change. Thanks

p.s thx for anatomy site, it will be some good things there.

CreatoN
07-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Ok I try to have some fun with picure, and maked warrior little more ready for fight. Change muscles, a little trees , new grass , and mud with some warning on it :). Don't know if right arm its good showed. What you think about it. Comments welcome like always. Thanks
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GA4aowlwpSk/TFGSlZUF9CI/AAAAAAAAACk/l-Gv1Jp3ylc/s1600/WA2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2010, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.