PDA

View Full Version : render GI to texture

WantToLearn
07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Is there a way to render Gi to texture in Maya 2009? I set up a test lighting scene and did a render. Then I selected the gemetry that had Automattic UV's on in map channel 1. Then I went to the Rendering Menu set> Lighting/Shading>Batch Bake(Mental Ray)> set color mode to global illumination. When the bake was done, all I saw was a 2 bit texture; pure white pixels and pure black pixels. I can attach the Maya file if anyone wants to look at it, i just need to know which icon on the Post menu attaches zip files.

ArtisticGore
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey did you assign a new bake set to the geometry before you batch bake?

WantToLearn
07-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks for replying, I don't know what you mean by a new bake set.

WantToLearn
07-21-2010, 03:43 AM
OK, I looked up bake sets. There was no other bake set assigned to the geometry I'm trying to bake the GI to. Am I following the correct procedure for baking Gi to texture?

ArtisticGore
07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Usually before baking something you need to make sure it has a bake set. I make just one bake set and assign this to the geometry I want the GI to bake to. Unless I want somethign specific for some geo I just stick to the same one.
In the Rendering tab > Lighting/Compositing there is a Assign a New Bake set. You need to have at least some geo selected for it to be an option. Then select Texture Bake Set. The options will pop. There you can select your parameters.
Change color mode to GI only, keep normal direction for now (you can test other options later). Get your resolution and bits.

Afterwards you can select other geo and just assign existing bake set. When done you should be able to just go to batch bake (mental ray).

WantToLearn
07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Jesse,

I can't seem to get it to work. Does the light have to be a particular kind of light?
01. I select the geometry.
02. Go to Rendering menu set> > Lighting/Compositing> Assign New Bake Set> Texture Bake Set.
03. Change color mode to GI, made sure my normals are facing the right durection, set my resolution to 512 x 512 and bits to 16.
04. Then went to batch bake (Mental Ray), not the options button.

For some reason Black is the only color that gts rendered to texture. I played with the Normal directions and played with the options button in Batch Bake. I'm thinking the light has to be something special. I tried turning the Light into a mental Ray light but it doesn't seem to work.

WantToLearn
07-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Hey Jesse, I tried the process you suggested with a new scene; test box and new light. it worked fine. ;) I'm really confussed now, Why won't the lights in my original scene bake out? It is just plain geom, the default lambert material, and one area light; same as the test scene.

doodlerboy
05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Maya 2009

So I have kinda an issue here with baking, I get my scene to bake the first time around, but than when I went in to rebake it, all I got was this message,

convertLightmapSetup -camera persp -sh -bakeSetOverride tmpTextureBakeSet -keepOrgSG -showcpv;

And nothing baked. So I went in and deleted the textureBakeSet, created a new one and hit bake again and these things show up in my outliner,

InitialTextureBakeSet
InitialVertexBakeSet.

And that's it, the scene won't render. So my guess is, maya is trying to reuse an old bake set, but if that was true than it should be rendering, anyone have any thoughts?

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.