PDA

View Full Version : Looking for budget graphic monitor.

GoodAsNew
07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone,

I have problems deciding what kind of graphic monitor i should get.

I do digital painting, 3d graphics and photography. The monitor should also work for entertaining purposes like games and movies. I'm running on win7 64bit. My graphic card doesnt have displayport.

Should i get an IPS panel or PVA? what are the differences between PVA and IPS?

I've also read about the downsides of wide gamut monitors that oversaturates colours in non colormanaged apps, so how important is the wide gamut then?

how much response time is needed for video editing?

24 NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi2 that goes around 1000$ in US sounds very interesting but what i've heard it is hardware calibrated only in US and the version that is sold in my country with the hardware calibration is called spectraview 2490 that cost around 1600 which is way too much for my budget.

The nonhardware calibrated version costs here around 800. So, how important is the hardware calibration feature? Whats the drawback using calibrator with monitor that doesnt have hardware calibration feature?

800 is still quite expencive in my budget unless its something so awesome that it's simply must have, so is there cheaper IPS or PVA screens that could be considered for grapics?

I tried HP2475w which was big disapointment. there was bad pink colour shifting on other side of the screen. Also blacks were too gray. Not to mention the over saturated sRGB issue, I even returned the monitor 3 times and all had the same issue.

So i'm back with my old CRT which is so old that it can blow up any minute.

Ok, this was quite a few questions. hopefully you understood my bad english.

Any suggestions?

evanfotis
07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
high budget: NEC PA 241W (or 2490 wuxi version1 if you can find one still available)
low budget: HP ZR24W

GoodAsNew
07-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks, I'll look into those.

TBart
07-20-2010, 08:10 AM
For low budget, the Dell U2311H is pretty solid. Color is good, not great, and response time is good for gaming. The price is awesome. The HP mentioned is also good, maybe better, but about $150 more.

GoodAsNew
07-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Now, i've read through loads of reviews and users experiences about many screens. Seems like all of them has some problems with uniformity of colour and luminance.

Quess i'll just have to get some cheap but decent for now.

that dell seems interesting except its full HD. i like more of the 1920x1200 than 1080p. the 24" version uses different panel type.

InfernalDarkness
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
What's your budget? Here's the best one I could find for under $150:

V7D22W12 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824216006)

GoodAsNew
07-26-2010, 02:22 PM
My budget is from 0 to around 750. for little over 1000 i could get Eizo ColorEdge 241W but that's S-PVA panel. 243W is IPS but around 400 more.

I'm also looking for minimun 24".

Necs are an option aswell but but no hardware calibration for the non spectraview models. What's the benefit of hardware calibration compared to software anyway?

GoodAsNew
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I think i've finally decided.

I'll try my luck with the HP ZR24W. Seems like it's cheap enough and decent for both graphic and entertaining.

Maybe when im more wealthy I'll consider one of those pro panels from Eizo, Nec or whatever.

Thanks for the tips. :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.