PDA

View Full Version : Vue ready for primetime?

Navstar
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I tried Vue a couple versions ago and it seems crashy, buggy and not really ready for production work. The general impression I got from message boards that Vue was pretty cool... when it worked, but stability and anti-aliasing were big issues. (Of course the Vue web site shows nothing but fantastic shots)

Now that Vue 8.5 is 64-bit, what's the general impression now? More of the same, or has the developer fixed all the problems?

Mike.H
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Every problem\bug is of course not solved. Nothing is perfect, but i have no showstoppers keeping me from making good use of vue 8.5 in real projects

dvfx
07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
I tried Vue a couple versions ago and it seems crashy, buggy and not really ready for production work. The general impression I got from message boards that Vue was pretty cool... when it worked, but stability and anti-aliasing were big issues. (Of course the Vue web site shows nothing but fantastic shots)

Now that Vue 8.5 is 64-bit, what's the general impression now? More of the same, or has the developer fixed all the problems?

I would say, definitely not ready. While it does show promise and the interface is powerful and fun to "play" with....I have never seen one solid version without serious flaws and bugs. My experiences were "show stopping" and I feel Vue's advertising is severely misleading.

If you are a matte painter used to painting over stills, it can be useful to generate skys, hills, etc. as separate frame elements and then comp together in Photoshop/NUKE ...but rendered together as an animation... a nightmare...nearly impossible. Comparing Vue to any other package Maya, Nuke, vfx Studio's Proprietary apps, etc. Vue is the worst I've dealt with in over 10 years in the film industry. much worse than any other commercially available package. If Autodesk bought them and spent a year cleaning up the code and supporting it properly then I may consider Vue once again.

I know some disagree, but this was my experience.

D

MarioC
07-30-2010, 10:31 AM
as a known vue basher i do not say anything about it (also because we kicked vue out of our pipeline with version 6) but want to extend the initial question: how about vue 8.5 xstream within maya? i am still interessted in vue if it reaches beta stage :thumbsup: so how's your experience?

Jaynesh
08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
as a known vue basher i do not say anything about it (also because we kicked vue out of our pipeline with version 6) but want to extend the initial question: how about vue 8.5 xstream within maya? i am still interessted in vue if it reaches beta stage :thumbsup: so how's your experience?

I'm current trying out Vue 8 xtream in maya. It would be an amazing software if it didnt crash all the time.

Edit: Does the terrain editor crash for anyone else once you press "ok"?

One of the main features of the software is crashing for me :banghead:

Fanko
08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I just don't understand how can such buggy software can be adopted by ILM matte department. Or I bet some genius in ILM just rewrite the entire Vue program for themselves :P

Navstar
08-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure how they get all the luminous comments from such high end effects houses.

Are they using the same Vue as I am?

Wabe
08-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Navstar, I find it an interesting approach that a company might have a working version of their product that they provide only for a handful of clients while thousand others have to deal with a non working one.

My guess is that they simply handle all this differently.

RLM
08-16-2010, 01:00 PM

I would also be extremely interested to hear feedback from other users who have purchased a recent version of Vue, as I have been following it closely for many years now.

thedaywillcome
08-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Vue seems like a great thing... hopefully they get things together :/. I must say things are looking stuff up and maybe other similar project will pickup.

Navstar
08-17-2010, 04:55 PM
It seems like a problem many titles like Poser 8 , Vue 8.5, and the new Bryce 7 is that they keep bolting on new features that sound great on a website or PDF, but they never address core stability or usability issues.

I personally think that while these companies own the source code, the original programmers (who have probably moved on to better jobs) can't, won't or don't update it.

If I wrote Vue and then got a job with a VFX house, you can bet the VFX company wouldn't let me earn money on the side like that.

RLM
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
That's a really interesting point to be honest! If we want change then the only way to achieve this realistically is by submitting complaints or bugs fix requests on a mass scale. Ideally, all the people who have purchased the product and have had issues need to be relentless with their feedback.

What else can we do as E-on keep releasing version after version and nothing seems to change. The feedback and user reviews are always the same on all the major forums. Full of bugs, unstable, unreliable etc.

Maybe Vue will only perfectly for huge studio set ups, but this needs to be made clear on the E-on web site. One things for sure, someone is definitely buying this software on a big scale as we wouldn't be upto version 9 otherwise.

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.