PDA

View Full Version : SMUDGE TOOL - fouled up! Help

Ramon
09-23-2003, 11:04 PM
Ok all, I have worked with Photoshop professionally since 2.5 and I can't remember ever having this problem until now...
The smudge tool is creating paint (all the times I've seen it, the paint it black) along the smudge stroke edge!!! It's driving me freaking crazy!!! I don't have finger painting on so that shouldn't be an issue.
It only happens when you drag into an image from the transparent area of the layer or when you drag out to a transparent area from a pixel area. Obviously, transparency is playing tricks here! Is this just a PC version problem? I know for sure my Mac at work didn't have this problem.
Help!
I am using PS 6.0 PC
Thanks,
Ramon

JamesMK
09-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Check the brush mode for the smudge tool. If it's set to 'luminosity' you can sometimes get this result, particularly if the foreground color chip is set to black.

Ramon
09-24-2003, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I have the smudge tool set to normal. Oh another thing is that the forground and or Background color doesn't seem to be affecting anything. Strange huh? I can't figure it. DOHH!!! And I real need this tool to work correctly!

ambient-whisper
09-24-2003, 05:47 AM
you have fingerpainting turned on?

also check your brush properties. since you can have many shapes for the smudge tool. ( very useful at times.. to give your paintings a more Oil paint look. )

Zaryin
09-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Does the Smudge tool have the brush option for the "wet" look? If it does, it might be that.

Ramon
09-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Nope, no "wet" look options. I am just using a standard round soft brush, no effects on the layer or the brush mode. I've done this many, many times in the Mac version and it works right.

Ian Jones
09-24-2003, 10:00 AM
arg, who knows... sometimes it can be something as silly as image mode. For example, most filters only work in rgb.

Knut
09-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Ah i have had that problem too in PS6. Can't remember having it in PS7. So maybe you'll have to do an upgrade. Try searching Adobes knowledge base.

pat
09-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Same problem for me,

I just downloaded the upgrade and I don't have this problem

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

bye !

klingspor
09-25-2003, 07:01 PM
In case what pat suggested didn't work: Do you have "lock transparent pixels" activated for your selected layer? That may cause the effect you described...

ASCIISkull
09-25-2003, 07:12 PM
It was a bug in PS 6.0 iirc, that can be fixed by upgrading...

I remember posting a question here about it back then, in fact...

Ramon
09-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Thank you all for replying. Knut, pat and ASCIISKULL were correct, I have found the problem and as mentioned, it was a Photoshop 6.0 / Multiprocessor issue. it was on Adobe's knowledge base. Man, it's nice to have the smudge tool wroking right again!

I should have thought to look there first before bothering everyone here. But, hopefully this thead might help others in this situation. What happened was that I had to reinstall my apps and forgot to upgrade to PS 6.0.1. 6.0 has several things that are lacking ie: speed enhancements for P4, several bugs in Multiprocessor systems etc.

As I said, that's for all replys! I appreciate the responses.
Ramon

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.