PDA

View Full Version : Maquette > Rotoscope > 3D Model

bupaje
09-23-2003, 09:33 PM
I took a tour of Rhythm & Hues this past week and one of the things I saw was a (rotoscope?) and trace a 3D maquette (sculpture) of an object to create a basic 3D model. I don't know if they use this for production models or just reference models but I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about this and if they are aware of any sites related to cheap products to do this or 'build your own 3D digitizer' type sites if that is even possible?

I saw that they drew some lines on the maquette and traced it I guess. I just picked up some super sculpey and worked on a model to visualize it better as I was trying to draw some 2D reference images to do it in 3D and it came out easier and more naturally -looked better as well- than my infant 2D/3D skills I wondered if there was some inexpensive way for a home user to do something similar?

setmenu
09-24-2003, 12:34 AM
Oh boy I would love a 3d scanner:drool:
I think anything half decent costs$$$$

Something I have played with though, was projecting a fanned laser beam [a modded laser pointer] onto a little head I sculpted
a while back.
The whole affair was far from precise and very manual.
Each resultant laser illuminated profile was photographed and
the bitmap profile image manually traced to produce a spline of sorts.
I then juggled these around and surfaced them.
Whilst the result is way far from being a literal representation of
the head,I still feel it ended up as being a quite pleasing piece of sculpture in it's own right.
I will experiment further with this at a later date.

Here is a pic of the result.

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=839471

Cheers

Setmenu

bupaje
09-24-2003, 04:37 PM
That is interesting and the results look pretty good. :) I figured that pens and pressure sensitive tablets might work somewhat similarly and have a few wild ideas but given my tendency to go off on long 'side trips' figured I'd look to see if anyone has come up with anything. I found some commercial products but yikes big $$$. Have to see if there are any computer part graveyards I can dig through. ;)

setmenu
09-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Good luck with your graveyard quest!

The laser technique mentioned was used on a pretty small model
so the line width was large relative to the face.
This produced a large scope for error, I had the devils own job
aligning the profiles for surfacing[the front view of the face is
somewhat err, more 'dramatic than the profile].

I feel the use of a larger model or real head would yield better
results.
It is all a matter of producing some method of ensuring correct
alignment of the profiles, not to mention obtaining some complementary profiles in a different axis:eek:

All good fun:scream: :surprised

:beer:

Setmenu

spakman
09-26-2003, 10:45 PM
The larger the company, the more likely this system is used as "the standard"

It really has nothing to do with traditional modellers v.s. cg modellers. It has to do with being able to put a "physical" model onto the boardroom table, so that all the suits can legally sign off.

I've never used this method myself. But I'd love to give it a test drive.

peace d=^)

*Edit: If I were a suit, I'd trust rapid prototyping over scanning... just a supplantation trend I sense is imminent.

bored alien
09-27-2003, 12:49 AM
There's an interesting thread about this over on spiraloid: http://cube.phlatt.net/forums/spiraloid/viewtopic.php?TopicID=13

And one of the sites linked to from there:
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/bouguetj/ICCV98/index.html
This is apparently from way back in 1998, but looks like it worked pretty well. :thumbsup:

setmenu
09-27-2003, 01:48 AM
mmm, looks interesting stuff, will have a better look later during the day.

Setmenu

pgp_protector
09-30-2003, 08:14 PM
A good thread on RP was on the CGNetworks Features

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84409

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.