PDA

View Full Version : How can I create outline renderings?

dweinin
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I've been reading up on some Maya bugs.

I'm on a MAC, Snow Leopard. Maya 2011.

For some reason Leopard and the vector renderer in Maya 2011 do not mix. You cannot load it in the plug-ins.

How else can I create quality looking vector renderings? Think blueprints and wire renderings.

They do not have to be actual "vector" renderings... I just need my renderings to look like a wireframe outline or blueprint type image. Simply white lines on a black background would be great. Can anyone point me to some tutorials or have any advice?

I was thinking about trying to use the toon rendering but I have never used it before.

Thanks

-Drew

TinyCerebellum
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
From a quick search in Google, you can start with this tutorial:

http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/Mental_Ray_Contour_Shader_tutorial

You can also do a search in the forums here and find more info about the mental ray contour render.

dweinin
07-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Great... Contour Rendering- I'll look it up. Thanks for the tip.

-Drew

mduvekot
07-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, I just explained to one of my customers today how you CAN use the Maya vector renderer in Maya 2011 for Mac OS X. It's a shitty workaround, but it works. I'll write it up for you if you need to, but the gist of it is start Maya in 32 bit mode and use the vectorize command to render.

dweinin
07-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Yeah. I would love to see this work around.

I'm using the Mental Ray Contour Rendering method now but would like to be able to use the vector renderer.

THanks.

Drew

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2010, 11:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.