PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max crash course!

bangiepangie
07-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I use LW but need to do a crash course in 3ds max to help my son.

Can someone help me?

Below are the main techniques I use in LW, could someone suggest the 3ds alternatives?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1) Show all views in wireframe.

2) Create a shape, manually selecting the amout of edges etc. View it in full wireframe.

3) Precisely 'KNIFE' though an object in order to create new points to move manually to fit a blueprint).

4) Use a second object in another layer as a 'BOOLEAN' or 'DRILL' in order to create a hole the shape of the second object, in the first (for windows etc).

5) 'SUB PATCH' an object in order to smooth the edges.

6) Create an object using 'SPLINES' welded together (e.g. an aircraft cockpit) to create a 'cage' then 'AUTO PATCH' the cage in order to fill it in.

7) Change between selecting 'POINTS' and 'POLYGONS'

8) Select two points then creating a line which joins the 2 points (i.e. joining 2 vertical lines with a top horizontal one - this would be done in LW
by selecting the top of each vertical line and then presing 'CTRL - P'. A horizontal line would then be created joining the 2 vertical ones.

9) 'PEN DRAW' - creating a shape out of points which are automatically filled in by LW.

Psyk0
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
These might help:
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=e82b0f5e192f2e9eeb72e2716a3a5d41

bangiepangie
07-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks dude, these were very helpful. Still have to work through them all but the modelling one alone answered a lot of my questions.

Thanks a million!

G.

Psyk0
07-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Glad i could help :)

ThermalSloth
07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Psyk0;
Thanks for posting that!

I actually just purchased a tutorial DVD from them, Mastering 3dsMax: The Fundamentals!
I've watched some of their videos, and I like them a lot.
Especially since they give a kind of a classroom feeling to it,
instead of a dry instructional video. :thumbsup:

I think you've just helped me become a modeler! :eek::bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.