PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Fresh out of school Showreel

maus
09-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Edit::: I had to take the clip down. I ran out of bandwith. :annoyed:

Hi everyone, :)

I have just recently finished school at I.C.A.R.I in Montreal and this is my showreel. It is a culmination of the work I have done in the last 3 months of school. And before I start sending it out to companies I would like to get some critiques.

I would like to know, if possible, how an employer would see my reel. If it is too long, or not enough examples, or things that should be cut. etc

Any input would be great. Don't be shy to tell me that it's teh sux either. Just please tell my why aswell.

Cheers!

.m~

p.s: It's compressed as an mpeg 4. You might need to update your quicktime (http://www.quicktime.com) to view it

Clockwork
09-23-2003, 09:20 PM
It's not at all bad for a first showreel. What sort of job are you looking for? The one thing that really sticks out as being a big no no is that little end sequence with the woman singing and the words flying around, although it looks cool it really has no bearing on your 3d skills - It could be recreated in a dozen different programs - many of which aren't 3d programs. I'd work on refining your actual animation skills a bit more and increase your model count. Also when displaying your models try a more contrasting background. Many of them were washed out against the grey, far too neutral.

Keep at it!

kerosene
09-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Hi

Yes it isn't bad but I certainly would try to add more models to it. For example low poly models are relatively fast to create and when you do them quickly (lets say five models) you gain that highly needed speed. Your texturing skills are not presented in any way on the reel. You show uvs for the low poly samurai but the texture is so stylised that it doesn't tell much.

I don't agree with the previous poster about the text play. It all depends on what you want to do. if you want to do advertising / broadcast stuff that is good to include to show that you have 2d motion graphics sense.

You should remember though that:
Game companies care less on your motion graphics skills
Motion graphics companies couldn't care less about you low poly skills. It is rare that one reel would be very versatile.

But definitely prioritize what you want to do and create more content.

Heikki

maus
09-24-2003, 04:25 AM
Thank you for the reply's :)

I know I need to show more work. Unfortunately the course I took was only 8 months. And we did no 3D for the first 3 months. My main concern was to try a little of everything (modeling, tex, light, anim) and see what I liked best.

Clockwork: I would actually love to work for a small production house, where they would need people that could fill many shoes. But if I were to chose 1 thing to do most it would be animation. I think I caught the bug. I have since started modeling a 3000 poly and should start animating him soon.

Kerosene: Any suggestions on how I should show my texture maps? I thought of doing it for the old man but I couldn't come up with a way to show the different tex and bump maps without taking away from the flow of the clip. What is wrong with the map for the head?

thaks again!

.m~

mexus
09-25-2003, 02:31 AM
Hi Maus,

Your animation needs alot of improvement.
The psychology behind the old man talking is fine in areas but think of secondary action and overlapping action. Think about flow and minimalism.

Also, don't try to freeze your characters in still motion.. and think how you would act if you were sitting there?
Your work seems very robotic and doesn't have flow involved.

e.g- when the old man swings his arm back and forth and just about all your head movements. No tilts and try having the blinks closing for more frames. Don't worry about visual candy and hip hop music. As this reflects your character (I like my beats too..) it doesn't show your animation skills like the other user suggested.

Furthermore, what are you doing?

Are you an animator? Flash artist? Modeller?
I can relate on the idea of trying everything due to my experience with design modelling and animation, but how about being realistic. Start by having 3 seperate reels (Model, Animate, Flash etc..). What is the end clip with the song and numbers have to do with 3D and modelling? It is very nice by the way.. on a different end.

I would like to personally keep in touch with you. Please e-mail me when you have a moment (estani@canarta.com)

You have great potential and are an amazing Flash designer from the flow of your reel. Take Care Maus.

maus
09-25-2003, 05:46 AM
Mexus: After reading your reply I went back to check the old man anim and I have to agree with you. He does need to flow more.(Dammit, and I felt that was my strongest 3D piece.) :argh: Oh well, I'm still proud of that peice though. It was my 2nd animation and it took alot out of me. So I will keep it as is. It will give me initiative to top it on my next animation.

I'd like to thank you guys again for all the input. It's really appreciated. It's really great to be able to come here and get honest, unbiased opinions.

You rok! :buttrock:

Cheers!
.m~

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.