PDA

View Full Version : Insert Mesh making things explode...

ButterKnife
07-17-2010, 04:21 AM
So I have a zBrush model with lots of subtools and I'm trying to combine them all so that I can pose it in Maya and then bring it back into zBrush with the Morph Target storing my details. I have everything set at 4 subdivision levels and clone them. But then when I try to insert the meshes into each other, they explode. The weird thing is that whenever I move or rotate the camera, everything looks fine. It always goes back to looking exploded when I stop though.

Also, everything can combine fine if I delete all the subdivision layers, but then when I try to reconstruct the subdivision layers, the textures get all screwy. If it comes down to it I can try to combine them this way and hope all the pieces will reconstruct, but I'm just curious if any of you have had a similar problem or if there's an option I need to mess with somewhere. It could also be an issue with my RAM (I have 3 gigs on this computer and a couple of million active points at highest).

By the way, is there anyway that I could get the low res version of the mesh into Maya without combining the subtools? That would make my like much easier. Maybe I should just export each subtool separately and then just bring them in and do their Morph Targets one at a time? I'm just looking for advice here...

eblondin
07-17-2010, 05:40 AM
why don't you just use transpose master?

ButterKnife
07-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Thanks. I didn't know about that plugin. I'll try it.

ButterKnife
08-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Transpose Master gave me mediocre results, but for the sake of anyone else who likes working between programs, here's the solution:

When importing an OBJ into Maya, make sure to go into the import options and specify that you're importing an obj instead of the default of "Best Guess"

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2010, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.