PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

XYZ3D1980
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I am wondering if this is even possible to do in Maya.

In the image attached, I have a model of a gear-like polygon shape (in green) and a curves shape (in white). My question is, can a curve be used as a guide to make cuts on the faces of the teeth (similiar to the Cut Faces Tool, but in a circular -not linear!- fashion?

If this isn't can't work, what would be the quickest way to cut these faces? The only thing I can think of right now is the Cut Faces Tool.

Thanks,
XYZ3D1980

Teloni
07-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Quick and dirty way would be to extrude the white curve and make the results polygons. Then use a boolean operation between the gear and the new polygon shape you made. You would probably want to then go back and fix some of the n-gons (sides with 5 or more edges) that the boolean operation will inevitably create.

XYZ3D1980
07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Teloni. However, I don't want to remove the ends of the teeth. I just want to run an edge loop through each of them at the same distance.

pbraganca
07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I would give two multiple edge loops on each teeth and then delete the inward one.

Teloni
07-16-2010, 07:34 PM
You could still maybe use the boolean operation by duplicating the objects and intersecting them to create the edges. Then you could just weld those resultant edges to your gear mesh. Mayb be too much work for what you are trying to achieve, dunno.

SuperHero
07-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Convert your poly to nurbs (poly > subd > nurbs) , select the curve first then select the nurbs surface then Project Curve on Surface. now convert it back to poly
it might need a little bit of tweaks.

ddg
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I think you are trying to do this…. Combine the two objects, the curve and the gear. Delete the vertices and the edges inside the circle. Now you can either extrude the gear, or you can duplicate and loft. Let me know if this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2010, 12:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.