PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Critique Requested

dannyboy374
07-16-2010, 06:10 AM
This is my first true attempt at lighting a scene all by myself. I took a page from kung fu panda and am really using the red/blue contrast quite heavily. This scene is untextured at the moment so I can see each lights contribution more easily. This scene is composed of my key moonline with raytraced shadows with a small radius, a few bounce lights, and an off scene light bulb to provide the red contrast as well as sharper shadows to give the scene more variety. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm using maya 2010 for this scene, using the MR renderer, this is with no GI/FG, just area/spot lights and one point for the orange light source. It's actually lighting challenge #8 from Jeremy Birn's collection, I'm using some of his pre-built scenes to practice lighting.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx327/danieljensen01/sample.jpg

stuh505
07-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Ah, pre-built scene....I was going to say, I've seen this scene before! Though the last guy didn't give credit to the real maker...

I'm confused why the rightmost pole has blue light on the bottom of it. It shouldn't be visible from the window which is the only source of blue light, and you said you have no indirect lighting?

dannyboy374
07-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm actually using a bit of simulated GI, strategically placing lights to give off the bounced light effect, if done right, you can achieve pretty good GI results with 1/10th the render time.

fleshtheworld
07-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I would say the blue lighting is too strong. Within that room the lights should be more harmonious, blending more softly. Currently the lighting looks like a glowing in the dark effect. The pole by the window should not be having such a strong blue lighting.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2010, 08:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.