PDA

View Full Version : Make ibl sphere smoother?

DieMachinist
07-15-2010, 10:27 PM
The standard ibl sphere that Maya (2011) creates using Render settings > Env > image based lighting is quiet faceted. Maya does not allow me to smooth it. Is there a hidden way to smooth it?

I have a hdri image with black likes on it and they appear bit faceted in the reflections due to the ibl sphere not being ultra smooth. I was wondering if I am missing something obvious to smooth it? If not then why not?

I know I can create my own poly HDRI sphere but I was curious as I have already lot of keys set on the ibl sphere.

Eshta
07-16-2010, 04:45 PM
u sure it's from the IBL node ?

DieMachinist
07-19-2010, 08:55 PM
u sure it's from the IBL node ?

Well to test I used an ultra smooth poly sphere with the HDRI image mapped on it and the jagged reflections showed up again on the object, so you are right that it might not be IBL sphere related.

So the test poly sphere is super smooth, the HDRI images is high res and it appears super smooth on the sphere too, object geo is super smooth with no imperfections but what I get in the reflection is attached below.

White arrow indicates the non smooth reflections. Red line indicates how I would want my reflections to appear super smooth. Any idea what is going on?

http://imgur.com/LsCG4.jpg

chafouin
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
- Nevermind you already answered to my stupid question :wise: -

pbraganca
07-19-2010, 09:56 PM
You already said your model is smooth but could it be the normal angle?

Ash-Man
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
how did you smooth your object?
Did you use that "3" option in viewport?
try adding approximation node to the poly mesh (it's poly right?)

DieMachinist
07-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Applying smooth couple of times fixed it. Although visually the geo looked same in the viewport before and after smoothing few times.

try adding approximation node to the poly mesh (it's poly right?)

Yes that is what it was. I wish I had read your post earlier ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2010, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.