PDA

View Full Version : Making Technical Blueprints with Maya?

eolandir
07-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I'm curious if Maya can do blueprints with exact dimensions for let's say a design of some chair, or some machine or anything. Something like the image in this link:
image (http://grupfrecan.com/fotografia.php?img=489-plano_tecnic)

I've used Maya a lot for the last two years to make cool renders but I'd like to do something like this with Maya too as it is very easy to build lowpoly 3D like that..

Do you know if Maya can do this kind of thing? If not, which software do you recommend?

thanks

InfernalDarkness
07-15-2010, 10:05 PM
In a word: don't.

Maya is not configured to do this kind of work, and although you could write scripts and make tools to help you do so, it would still be very slow and cumbersome compared to 99% of the tools out there which are designed for such tasks.

I use Rhino and Revit for my drawings. AutoCAD and Revit are the applications you should be using, but I'm very proficient with Rhino and enjoy full customization (as opposed to Revit, which is a BIM modeler mainly).

You could spend years writing the tools to make Maya act like Rhino/Revit/AutoCAD, but there's no benefit to doing so, as those years would be wasted and you wouldn't be making money modding Maya to act like those other applications. Remember that "blueprints" aren't "blue" any more, and that architectural drawings aren't magic, just drawings!

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-17-2010, 04:23 PM
you can use distance tool to make some "blue print" dimensions but you do not have much possibilities to control them.

TinyCerebellum
07-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Well, if you do want to use Maya, a simple solution to get the same sort of technical illustrations would be to use the mental ray contours to render just the object (it's very easy to set up and there are a number of tutorials out there that show you how to do it). After that, take the render into Adobe Illustrator and add the dimensions and the demarcation lines. You would be able to add those in Maya as well, but it would take more work. Illustrator is great for that sort of thing. I used to know a technical illustrator at Nortel about ten years ago who did all such technical illustrations for training manuals directly in Illustrator.

Using an orthographic camera would also give you perfect isometric renders.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2010, 06:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.