PDA

View Full Version : Renderman introduction

haggi
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
If anyone is interested, I have compiled a basic introduction into renderman basic render principles. Maybe this can be helpful for starting with renderman compliant renderers.

Renderman Basics (http://joomla.renderwiki.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=239&Itemid=213)

The pages are not yet complete and I will continue to update the site.

leif3d
07-15-2010, 07:13 PM
This is great haggi.
I was looking into doing something like this myself (coming up soon), not a wiki, but more RMS/ RPS project based.
Good to know PRMan people are out there helping :thumbsup:
Great job man.

Hans-CC
07-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks haggi this will be really useful !!!

H.

haggi
07-15-2010, 11:47 PM
This is great haggi.
I was looking into doing something like this myself (coming up soon), not a wiki, but more RMS/ RPS project based.
Good to know PRMan people are out there helping :thumbsup:
Great job man.

Thanks!
Maybe it could be useful to join forces? Please let me know if your site is online so that I can link to it... and I don't create any infos you already cover.

JakeJK
07-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I am looking to get into renderman, so this is very useful.

Thanks!!

leif3d
07-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks!
Maybe it could be useful to join forces? Please let me know if your site is online so that I can link to it... and I don't create any infos you already cover.

I'll be creating some "for dummies" tutorials. I'm planning on incorporating scene files, because it's the best way to learn in my experience.
I'll probably start with installation of Tractor, RMS and RPS on Linux and some ENV variables and setups for a render farm.
Then I was thinking of continuing with some workflow tips (Object ID's, hiders, etc...), you know, the more practical stuff that most PRMan guys leave out for the rest of us "not so technical" people.
I should be rolling out my site in about a months time, so I'll get back to you.

Redsand1080
07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks so much for the great info. Very cool of both you guys to share your knowledge.

ndeboar
07-17-2010, 06:06 AM
fyi: RMS/RFM isnt the only way to get stuff from Maya to Prman. I've been using MayaMan again, and I must admit it kills RMS in a lot of ways. Much more feature rich, and way better ways of re-useing shadow/occlusion data.

It also gets updated once/twice a month unlike RMS, which takes YEARS to get updates.

Slim also gave me a massive headache at my last place, MayaMan has it's own shading system that uses the hypergraph , but has a few nice tricks of its own.

Check it out :)

haggi
07-17-2010, 12:24 PM
If you use mayaman, which version do you use? The last ones I could find is version 2.0.29 from december 2008. So I'm quite sure that you use another mayaman than me. For the current maya versions like maya2010 you can use - as much as I know - 3delight maya plugin, mayaliquid and rms2.0.

Where only 3delight and rms offer the 64bit version.

leif3d
07-17-2010, 04:59 PM
fyi: RMS/RFM isnt the only way to get stuff from Maya to Prman. I've been using MayaMan again, and I must admit it kills RMS in a lot of ways. Much more feature rich, and way better ways of re-useing shadow/occlusion data.

It also gets updated once/twice a month unlike RMS, which takes YEARS to get updates.

Slim also gave me a massive headache at my last place, MayaMan has it's own shading system that uses the hypergraph , but has a few nice tricks of its own.

Check it out :)

When I started learning REYES I experimented with 3delight and RfM, because those were the best options for a newbie with no help. Now that I have more experience, I'm planning to take a look at other alternatives like Mayaman. I really like the new feature set in version 10, especially the new lighting features.
With that said, I still think RfM is still the easiest and most well integrated of them all, that's why I was going to base my tutorials on Pixar's product. Allthough I agree, checking out some free solutions like 3delight and Mayaman is probably a great bet for most people that want to get into the world of REYES and can't afford the software. Plus, learning the hard way probably helps :)

BTW, have you tried Airstream? how does it compare to Mayaman?

fahr
07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Whoa whoa WHOA! MayaLiquid is still being developed?? Where can you find it? I used to follow it's progress years ago, hoping to have a good exporter to use for experimenting with Pixie, but it pretty much fell off the map, like.... 5 years ago.

Where can I find current info about it, or, better yet, a 2011 build for OSX 64-bit? :)

haggi
07-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Well I fear you will have to compile it yourself or contact the guys who are behind the duran-duboi/ branch of liquidmaya, it seems they are still working with it.

ndeboar
07-19-2010, 03:23 AM
If you use mayaman, which version do you use? The last ones I could find is version 2.0.29 from december 2008.

The latest version is
MayaMan 2.0.59 - 10/Jun/2010

Supports maya 2011, and all the new volume and stereo rendering in prman 15.

RagingBull
04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
haggi, thanks for the link you've made :beer:

Goksimaster
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
The latest version is
MayaMan 2.0.59 - 10/Jun/2010

Supports maya 2011, and all the new volume and stereo rendering in prman 15.

I used it with prman 13.5 2 years ago Documenation was a dissaster ... big time. Did they changed anythiog ?

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.