PDA

View Full Version : Digging into AR3 GI

paulselhi
07-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I find it interesting that vray users are more than happy to immerse themselves in the granular settings of vray GI and many tutorials cover the finer settings but i see very little mention of this with AR3

There are a wealth of fine detail GI settings in AR3 and though default settings are often "good enough" i was always taught that "if it's 'good enough', it isn't"

So is anyone regularly fine tuning their GI? If so is anyone willing to show some work flows and examples, yes i have see the excellent review by Michael Vance, has anyone got any real world thoughts on the settings

brasco
07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
I work mainly with Archvis, so lots of big exterior shots that can really suck up the render times with GI (trees etc...).

If i was going to name a few key points, I'd say details enhancement is a godsend, I whack all my settings pretty low, then activate details and bam - you're saving masses of time where you'd need super high samples/densities to get similar results. It needs tweaking occasionally but for the most part it's fine. I use the sky object a lot for this as its quick and easy to setup, but usually comp in a nice sky later on.

Another beaut, is dropping a compositing tag on to objects that dont need as high density/vise versa, then set individual settings, Michael's awesome article talks about this to get the beautiful caustics.

Using it in animation gets a little trickier, there's some great info in other threads, Shademaster is a bit of pro at this stuff, so maybe seek out a few of his posts :)

Thats a start, I could go on forever!

HTH
brasc

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.