PDA

View Full Version : 4 side polygons

orozimbo
09-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Hey 3D guys, specially modelers. I have a little question.

"How important is to keep all polygons with 4 sides if the modeler intend to use poly smoth node?"

I start to think about that when I realized that I don´t like to work with subdivision. I know the process with subdivision is faster with no extraordinary points, but I don´t know about poly smoth algorithm.

I keep this habit mostly because I have the control of the edge flow. But some times, this can be very annoying. Any body can give me some light on this matter? Thank´s in advance.

Inté,
Guilherme Lopes

orozimbo
09-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Wow! Forty three guys visity this thread and it has no answer at all! Is that question stupid? If so, one let me know, please.

Any way, I used Maya terminology but the question is related to modelling tecniques. I´d really appreciate if one wants to shares its ideas.

Inté,
Guilherme Lopes

ThirdEye
09-24-2003, 10:52 PM
Make a search in the forum, this topic has been discussed a million times

orozimbo
09-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the tip ThirdEye_01. I had already made this. I spent a couple of hours looking for key words like: poly, smoth, subdivision, sides, techinique and so on. Unfortunatly I dind find anything specifically related to this issue.

I´d like to remind every body that I know the restrictions for the use of n-side polys in subdivision. I still trying to bring some light to this matter, any reply would be valious.

Inté,
Guilherme Lopes

orozimbo
09-25-2003, 04:17 PM
I just saw, luck I guess, this thread Topology research (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38469). There, a reply call my attention.

Originally posted by Laa-Yosh
Regarding 3 and 5-sided polys, they will be converted to 3 and 5 quad faces at the first level of subdivision where you can easily smooth them out with hierarchical editing. But with straight polysmooth / nonhierarchical subdiv conversion we have to make sure that these faces will stay smooth, even during animation.

It´s good reason, but I don´t know if there´s a increasing in the amouth of process time. It happens in subdivision! Any body have other informations?

Inté,
Guilherme Lopes

ThirdEye
09-25-2003, 11:43 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42367&highlight=ngons

I hope this helps :)

Thalaxis
09-26-2003, 12:06 AM
From what I understand, the issue is that most subdivision
algorithms favor 3 and 4 sided polys, plus 4-sided polys can be
non-planer, while 3-sided ones cannot.

That means that you can think of quads as bendable.

I'm not sure about this, I'll have to do some digging at some
point when I have more time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 05:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.