PDA

View Full Version : Question about Education in Vancouver

RREYGUN
07-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey guys. My name is Richard. I live in Vancouver BC. I just graduated highschool and want to get into the film/game industry. The courses im thinking of taking is the Foundation Visual&Designs and after the 3D animation and Visual Effects at VFS. but the the thing is its sooo expensive. Do you guys know any other school that would give me the same experience but at a cheaper price? (ei. Think Tank, etc..) VFS talks about how their education simulates being at workplace. Would other school give you the same expeirience? I(My parents) dont want to spend a fortune on a one year program(3D Animation & Visual Effects is just under 40k). But if you guys think that the VFS program is really good then i would consider it more. Do you think that 2 year program will build me from the ground up to be able to land a job in the inudstry? I might take the foundation class and see from there where I should study. But i would love to read some feedbacks!

THANK YOU!

gbenard
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Richard,

If you have the time and the patience, you could try taking a one or two year diploma in fine arts, graphics, media, photography or design at a community college, which would give you all the foundation skills you would need to go into the more expensive digital programs. We find that our students are better prepared for their careers with more foundation skills; however the VFS Foundation program is really expensive for just covering small amounts in a variety of categories. Langara, Douglas, Capilano, even Emily Carr if you can get in. Then shop around for the best focused program, depending if you want to go into VFX, character animation, modeling, game design, etc. They are all quite different and so is the training - try to talk to alumni and visit the schools.

Best of luck.

Gillian

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.