PDA

View Full Version : How would you make this high-res moon surface?

kingoslo
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Hello there,

I am doing a commission, deadline next friday (8 days from now). The last render I am making is going to illustrate Apollo 13 orbiting the moon. There I will need a highres still render (circa 30MP) with a lot of moon surface. The surface will look something like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Moon-craters.jpg

The way I set out was to use a massive displacement map (10 000 x 10 000 px) on a sphere and render with Vray. Now my render crashes because of lack of memory.

Would you use a different technique or software? I have been looking to get into zbrush for a while. Is this, or any other software going to be useful for this, or should I buy a new computer with more memory to render the image with? Any other ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

scrimski
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Tile the texture with a checker map or mix mp, use lower resolutions for shots from the distance.

soulburn3d
07-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I did a shot like this for a film a few years ago, I used mudbox to make my craters (I made a crater brush in photoshop and then stamped it on the surface at various sizes and strengths), and then used procedural textures to add the smaller grainy details. So my final disp map wasn't actually all that large, since it was only providing the larger rocky details and crater shapes.

Also, if you're running out of memory, something in here may be able to help...

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/reducing_memory/reducing_memory.htm

Good luck!

- Neil

kingoslo
07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
I have made a 24 million polygon model of the moon surface using mudbox. Now I tried to apply a displacement map 2000 x 2000 px, tiled 10 times each way. I try and render it all, with the displacement in vray, but it is so slow, that after 10 hours, still, nothing is happening. I probably have to wait a hundred years for this to complete.

Any idea why it is so slow? Can anything be done to speed it up?

Thanks,
Marius

thev
07-15-2010, 08:32 PM
You can try exporting it as an .obj file from Mudbox and use the ply2vrmesh to convert it to a .vrmesh file that you can use as a VRayProxy. You can then control the RAM usage with the "Dynamic memory limit" option of V-Ray.

Best regards,
Vlado

kingoslo
07-16-2010, 08:13 AM
You can try exporting it as an .obj file from Mudbox and use the ply2vrmesh to convert it to a .vrmesh file that you can use as a VRayProxy. You can then control the RAM usage with the "Dynamic memory limit" option of V-Ray.

Best regards,
Vlado

Is this going to help me with my displacement horrors? Why is this dispacement image rendering so slow?M

kingoslo
07-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Yes, I had success with that method. However, I have cracks appearing in my displacement. I assume these have to do with pixels, but they are very annoying, switching between 2D and 3D mapping didnt help:

http://www.kingoslo.com/temp/displacement%20cracks.jpg

What are these cracks called, and how do I loose them?

Thanks!M

SuperHero
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
i'm neither a Max nor a Vray user but something like this has happened to me once! in Maya there is an approximation editor which tesselates your geometry in render time, idk what you call it in that workspace, by using it i got rid of it.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.