PDA

View Full Version : orientation of Particles in Toolbox

HornBerger
07-14-2010, 08:29 AM
below is an image explaining the problem i am facing i.e changing the orientation of the particles so that they align to there continuously changing speed vector

the image (right click and select view image to enlarge):
http://a.imageshack.us/img189/6073/particleorientation.jpg

Edit: i fixed the orientation problem using physX switch to match the rotation then when it collides with a plane i send it to another physX flow event (with instanced physX world) which does not have the physX switch (to prevent it from matching the rotation due to the earlier switch operator) however i encountered another problem... how do i bind group members which are used in the shape instance operators for particles shot from birth stream operator

image (right click and select view image to enlarge)
http://a.imageshack.us/img594/9097/bindinggroupmembers.jpg

thanks! :)

JohnnyRandom
07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
You cannot if you didn't enable Separate Particles for: "Group Members" in the shape instance operator. With this setting disabled it sees both cylinders as one particle. If you were to enable it chances are it would not birth as a group, ie two cylinders at once. This would occur even using vanilla pflow, once you separate the grouped shape instance objects group members become individuals.

If you want to birth two at a time like that I would try using a waveform controller bound to a standard birth rate and a position icon.

You could also try spawning a trailing particle, honestly think it would be more work/operators to deal with the spawn interpenetration distance, you would have to spawn wait a few frames for the interpenetration to cease than apply PhysX.

HornBerger
07-17-2010, 11:19 AM
thanks for the post

i like the waveform controller idea. But it will only work if the emitter were to only emit from the pivot point (position icon operator option) other wise the emitter can spawns particles from anywhere on the surface of the icon.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2010, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.