PDA

View Full Version : Passes: Direct and Indirect Light

DagMX
07-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Hi there!
I'm working on a project currently and am getting to the rendering stage of it and was wondering if Maya could separate out direct and indirect lighting using passes?

I see that the passes system has an indirect pass which is what I think should do the trick for the indirect pass, but i see nothing for a direct light pass? Is direct irradiance the one I'm looking for or is it Incidence or something else altogether?

basically I want to render my scene as one layer(to cut down on render time), separated into contribution maps for the various objects. I'm guessing I'll have to have a separate contribution map for each light set as well.

Thanks very much!

-Dhruv

wellHARD
07-14-2010, 05:32 PM
hey..

If you are rendering out a direct lighting pass and its coming out blank it could be that you dont have any actual direct light in your scene, so the first thing that i would check is that I have a direct light source (maya light) and that you are emitting diffuse and illuminating by default. If you are just using photons to give you illumination and no actual light intensity or you are lighting your scene with final gather and only using color values to light your scene you will not get any direct light information as there is only indirect lighting information.

Hope it helps

DagMX
07-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks. managed to get the direct lighting pass and indirect pass working.

Just trying to get my comp workflow down pat.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2010, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.