PDA

View Full Version : why does flexlm suck so hard?

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
I have discovered that flexlm does some really gross low-level crap that is not uninstallable. I want to put my SSD from my tower in my laptop and I know that I'll have to format the whole thing just because of flexlm and its crap. All my other programs can be deactivated and then activated on the new machine and OS X won't care that it was formerly on a Mac Pro and now is running on a laptop.

I've had problems with system restores because of flexlm as well. This all started with the new system that was imposed with 2010/2010. The old license file system never had this cruft problem. Anyone know how to nuke it from a Mac system? It's a complete headache since it's the one thing that needs an uninstaller but doesn't have one.

mduvekot
07-13-2010, 07:00 PM
It's even worse than you think. They use "secure storage". Some hidden partition on your disk that you cannot access or remove with out tools they won't give you because you could potentially use them to reinitialize a trial. We have to deal with this shit so that ADSK can give people 30 trials.

When I see you at siggraph, I'll give you the name and phone number of the person who's responsible for this stinking pile of horse manure.

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
good - I'll bring a white glove to demand satisfaction.

This is ****ing garbage. Imagine if every piece of software did crap like this? I'd have to reformat my drive every time a program was uninstalled. No irony then that there are cracked versions of Maya 2011 all over the place. I love how DRM only tortures the people who pay for the software. GG Autodesk. Your contempt for legitimate users continues to astound.

egglybagelface
07-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I got fed up with the whole system, too. When I was running 2008 and had heaps of problems and Autodesk support weren't helpful, I thought: whatever.... i'm going just do what the bad kids do.

No problems with 2008 there onwards.

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 08:12 PM
well it was never such a cluster**** when they just used aw.dat file licenses. The newer system that looks like what they've always used for Max is a complete mess.

InfernalDarkness
07-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Simply brutal. Glad to still be "stuck" with 2009, and moreso every time I hear about some new absurd AutoDesk antics.

I'm not so familiar with Macs and disk operation, but there's no utility that will let you take/keep control of your HD's? Why would you have to reformat a HD/SSD after uninstalling a program, even one that makes its own little partition? Can you not reclaim that partition? Is this something that affects Windows users as well? I'm pretty sure they use different filing systems, but it seems like there should be some kind of application to help with such atrocities...

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
well if it used standard partitions, I could remove it but it sounds like some weird crap of its own making. It's not a standard partition:

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS 320 319.7 GB disk0s2

mduvekot
07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
The marketing folks gave it such a ridiculous name that i remembered it wrong of course. It's called, no irony intended: TRUSTED storage.

Daemonecles
07-14-2010, 12:10 AM
If you buy a copy and then install a cracked version to ignore the issues with DRM reinstallation...does that make me a bad person? Does it proliferate piracy therefore adding to the problem or does it make pirates feel like people doing what they do are legit making them feel like they should be legit...I don't know. (theoretical...I just thought your discussion posed an interesting moral quandary...)

mduvekot
07-14-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm a terrible moralist, but I have an agreement with the software vendor. If I don't like the terms of the agreement, I shouldn't enter into the agreement. I hate AdLM, but I won't run a crack. I gave my word that I would honour the agreement. If I broke it, I would have no grounds to insist that Autodesk keep theirs too.

There is an aspect to the issue that you might not have considered; cracks give autodesk a reason to make licensing ever more restrictive and complicated. There is an arms race going on that Autodesk believes they can win (I talked to the guy who's responsible for AdLM; he really believes it) but can't. You're paying for that very costly mistake.

cgbeige
07-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Well they're doing themselves two injustices with this system:

- There's no watermarked PLE version so students have no other option but easily available pirate versions (a 30 day trial isn't going to convince them that they suddenly have $3500 dollars)
- They're screwing with my system and making me curse them, and I pay for the software...

mduvekot
07-14-2010, 01:47 AM
The Educational version of Maya costs considerably less than $3500. Last I checked the Education Suite (Maya Max XSI Mobu and Mud) was $349.95.

But, in case I didn't I make this clear already: I loathe AdLM with all my heart and it makes my very upset that the war on piracy is funded with my maintenance dollars. Licensing, as it is, is NOT a feature. It could be; but it isn't.

cgbeige
07-14-2010, 01:52 AM
anyway, I think we can all agree there needs to be some sort of uninstaller for this hideous mess.

InfernalDarkness
07-14-2010, 02:19 AM
(seriously this time) Not intending and inflammation, but can any Windows users verify a partition setup under Win7 or Vista? THAT quandary will keep me using 2009 indefinitely, although I believe I can keep FlexLM from doing anything nutty to my HD's these days. But let's say (for the sake of argument) that 2012 doesn't suck... Do I have new partition madness to look forward to if they ever make another decent Maya?

DuttyFoot
07-14-2010, 02:19 AM
- There's no watermarked PLE version so students have no other option but easily available pirate versions (a 30 day trial isn't going to convince them that they suddenly have $3500 dollars)

students have the cheap EDU version so that would probably occur for those who aren't students. if Houdini can give a watermarked version they could do the same, everyone isn't a student or has 3500 dollars.

maybe they could use the system that adobe has for there apps. you deactivate the program and then reactivate it. I'm not sure if there is a limit but it works perfectly fine.

cgbeige
07-14-2010, 04:47 AM
(seriously this time) Not intending and inflammation, but can any Windows users verify a partition setup under Win7 or Vista? THAT quandary will keep me using 2009 indefinitely, although I believe I can keep FlexLM from doing anything nutty to my HD's these days. But let's say (for the sake of argument) that 2012 doesn't suck... Do I have new partition madness to look forward to if they ever make another decent Maya?

Michiel probably would have mentioned if it was a Mac-only thing. Autodesk doesn't do anything now if it's not the same across all platforms, so I think it's safe to say this is the same system on all platforms.

Emil3d
07-14-2010, 06:28 AM
I use disk images and in cases like that I recover my system hard drives to pristine condition. I have several disk images and one of them is the system plus all tried and tested apps and utilities which doesn't include Maya. This practice is a result of my experience with Maya in the recent years.

egglybagelface
07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
If you buy a copy and then install a cracked version to ignore the issues with DRM reinstallation...does that make me a bad person? Does it proliferate piracy therefore adding to the problem or does it make pirates feel like people doing what they do are legit making them feel like they should be legit...I don't know. (theoretical...I just thought your discussion posed an interesting moral quandary...)

I don't know if this question was directed to my post or not, but no, you're/we're not a bad person if you use a crack for a copy you/we/I have paid top dollars for as a last resort. We've done our part contributing back to the hard work of hard working programmers and dollars keeping the company alive and make a profit and grow.

Pirates know very well what they do is wrong and who their primary audience is... those whom want to rip off the software authors completely, not us.

My brother bought a copy of "Sign Wizard" years and years ago that required a hardware dongle and after months of flawed programming and incompatibilities with the system and countless phone calls, the tech support emailed him a crack!

I know cgbeige didn't start the thread about this topic, but I thought this side-subject was taboo here anyway. This is my last post about that.

By the way, I have 2011, are you are saying there is a hidden partition on my hard-drive? That is soooo dangerous. How can a software company take such a risk? When you format and partition a hard-drive using Partition Magic, for example, a program specifically and professionally made for such tasks, it asks 50 times "are you sure?" and has a pop-up box stating the dangers!

That is insane. I'm going to check my partitions on my home computer. Probably have to do boot time run to see it, or use my linux box.

Emil3d
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
I haven't used Macs since the classic OS, and I don't know what partition programs are available but on Windows I use BootIt NG (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm). Removing or adding a partition is really easy, it boots from a CD from some minimum Unix system and then the program can see and manage partitions. Probably there are some equivalent programs for Macs.

alexentremont
07-14-2010, 03:51 PM
I love how DRM only tortures the people who pay for the software. GG Autodesk. Your contempt for legitimate users continues to astound.
As the legit owner of many pieces of software, i had to buy one more (Yojimbo) just to keep track of the various mecanisms of registration! It's a nightmare...

DuttyFoot
07-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I use disk images and in cases like that I recover my system hard drives to pristine condition. I have several disk images and one of them is the system plus all tried and tested apps and utilities which doesn't include Maya. This practice is a result of my experience with Maya in the recent years.

Acronis does work like a charm :)

DuttyFoot
07-15-2010, 02:29 AM
i found this over in the area and this person seems to be having the same issue you are. it seems they found a work around

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/adlm-and-replacing-hard-drives/

Thanks for the feedback guys, ended up using OLT / LTU and things went smoothly…

For Win7 / XP the install docs (p. 75) mentioned manually backing up the AdLM data when reinstalling the OS but didn’t specify the file system path for Mac OS X (although it looks to be $HOME/Adlm/).

Needless to say the OLT / LTU method is sooooo much simpler ;)

cgbeige
07-15-2010, 03:17 AM
That's not a solution to the partition problem.

InfernalDarkness
07-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Basically, I'm not at a point where I could let any application get away with making a partition on any of my drives. Seriously, that's just wrong. I'd love to upgrade Maya in the future if they ever put in any features, but an app making it's own partition?

That's just absurd.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2010, 06:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.