PDA

View Full Version : Way to make script editor display render progress in less than 5% increments?

Richard7666
07-13-2010, 07:39 AM
As I don't exactly have a powerful machine, rendering something that can potentially take several hours is a real pain as I often don't even know if it's working (mental ray has a horrible habit of just not starting a render for some reason for me but that's a separate issue)

Basically I want to set it to, say, 1% increments so it reports render progress more often instead of having to wait til it hits 5% so I know if it's working.

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-13-2010, 08:56 AM
It is better for you to run the render from command line instead using batch render in Maya GUI.

command line increment is something like 0.1% so it should be quite nice for you. You have also options to increase verbosity level easily.

m-u-r-p-h-y
07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
other important thing to mention is you will make more RAM available to your render running it from command line instead from GUI.

you can save some 300-400MB and MR will appreciate it for sure ;)

Richard7666
07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'd never even considered it!

This tutorial looks good as I'm rather inexperienced with doing ANYTHING from the command prompt. http://www.*******.com/tutorials/command_line/ (that's 'three-dee total' but spelt '3d' not 'three-dee', sorry but I can't link directly)

I'll see how I go :)

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Richard - I thought you were on a Mac. No? Anyway, I posted a thing for OS X users who want to get up and running with command line renders here:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/post/701899285/mac-os-x-maya-and-other-3d-app-users-how-to-set-up

Richard7666
07-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Nope, Windows user here. Your photoshop vid in the other thread I could follow along as it's all set up basically the same, was just the rapid mouse movements that were catching me out :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2010, 12:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.