PDA

View Full Version : How would I do this?

sickofpop
07-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey guys, wondering if someone could help me out. I have a soldier model that I need to use to create multiple characters. My idea was to just cut the head off the model, and change the features, eye color, facial hair etc., a number of times to create some variation, then reattach them to each body. I'm not a modeler, I'm strictly an animator, but I think I can tackle this. My question is, what is the best way to do this in Maya? Should I bring the head into zbrush and modify it there? Does zbrush keep the textures on the head, or would I need to reapply textures to the head once I've manipulated it. Any guidance you guys can give would be great, cause as I said, modeling is not really my forte. Thanks.

PandorasKeyboard
07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Hi, I'm not exactly sure why you'd cut the head off to change features?

My first bit of advice is to take the full model into zbrush and adjust what ever you like to the body or head with the model still intact.

Also, no Zbrush does not get rid of textures. As long as you don't change the model to much the original textures should fit back onto it as the UV unwrapping will stay the same. I recomend taking your existing textures into zbrush (be sure your model is sub-divided enough then go texture/import then colour/fill object).

If you really want to take just the head in though just select all the top faces of the head in Maya, then go to mesh/extract then export selection - obj, import to zbrush and adjust, bring it back in and re-attach by selecting both the head and body then go to mesh, combine then select vertices around the neck and mesh/merge, possibly edit mesh/merge, and make sure that all vertices have merged back togheter.

Anything else or further detail I'll be happy to help.

sickofpop
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks so much for the clarification. I suppose you're right in that there's no need to cut the head off the model. Might as well just leave it intact.

Thanks again and I'll let you know if I run into any problems. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.