PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a second drawing book to read

SoftVision
07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi. I'm almost done reading and doing the practice exercises from The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (http://www.amazon.com/New-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0874774241). I've got to do the portrait, lighting and colour chapters now and I've started working on that. I was just wondering what book to get after finishing this one.

I have the Loomis' books in pdf and I did do a little bit of Fun with a Pencil before this one, but I wanted something that could teach me concepts of drawing so I could apply them to more than just figures. The book by Betty Edwards has been great so far. I was wondering if there's any more books out there that could show me techniques and principles of how to draw? Should I try the Loomis books again? Will they be an addition to what Betty Edwards teaches through her book (I don't want to go through the motions)? If so which should I go for?

At the same time I'm going to practice drawing and I've thought of a simple idea. I'm going to look at all the objects in my room and draw as many as I can, one by one. I might even play around like keep two books leaning together on something, etc. I feel that this should help me get the hang of drawing things as I see them. Does anyone have any other suggestions for early practice ideas? I've always wanted to be able to try copying cover art from novels too, so should I go ahead with that?

Lunatique
07-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Loomis wrote a range of books, from simple to very sophisticated. Only some of them concentrated on the figure. Successful Drawing, Creative Illustration, The Painter's Eye...etc are all-encompassing and covers a wide range. Just by following his books (all of them, from cover to cover, and practicing from them, putting the lessons to use), is already a compelling art education that would take you at least a year or two to get through. There are other suggestions for books in the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

SoftVision
07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I think I'll go with Loomis then. I have the following books:

Creative Illustration
Drawing the Heads and Hands
Eye of the Painter
Fun with a Pencil
Figure Drawing for all its worth

Is there any book of his missing?

I'm planning to go with Fun with a Pencil first because from what I saw its pretty beginner oriented, but after that I have no clue which to go for. Could you suggest what order I read them in?

Lunatique
07-12-2010, 12:05 PM
You forgot about Successful Drawing, the one I already mentioned.

Fun the a Pencil is the most simple. From there, you can tackle any of them, except for Eye of the Painter, which is probably the most advanced in terms of creative philosophy and concepts.

SoftVision
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah, I have Successful Drawing too.

Also from reading Edwards' book she said that her book would not be dealing with perspective drawing. Do any of Loomis' books do so? Is there any good one that does? And would perspective drawing help or just cause conflict?

Lunatique
07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Successful Drawing has lots of content about perspective. I guess you haven't had time to flip through the contents of the books? ;)

SoftVision
07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Lol no guess I didn't. I downloaded them before but I was just focused on doing the exercises in Edwards' book. Anyway I'm almost done with it and I'll go for Loomis' books. Thanks for your help. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2010, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.