PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advice!

TheThinkingAtheist
07-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I just joined this site today but I've been checking it out for over a year now. The work on this site is amazing! I really want to start creating character models but I'm a complete noob! I've never done it before but I'm extremely interested in it. What program(s) should I use? I know about 3D's Max and Maya. What about tutorials? Do you guys draw out your ideas first and then start creating the model? Or do you just jump right in and begin modeling your character?

Any advice?

Psyk0
07-11-2010, 04:43 AM
The software won't make a difference, they're all tools that you use to create art, altho zbrush/mudbox/3dcoat can speed up the artistic side of things. Your knowledge of the human structure on the other hand should be your number one concern. So my advice would be taking drawing classes / sculpting of the human form. The top artists don't create awesome work by accident ;).

And yes, creating concept art should be the starting point of your character, it takes away a lot of guess work when you start the process and can be quickly changed to explore different directions.

sundialsvc4
07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I'd agree. Defer your decision of "Nikon, Canon, or Minolta" for a while because you first need to know how to put things in context. You need to have an understanding of what you're setting out to do, and preferably, to get that exposure in a "product neutral" way.

The learning-curve can feel like "a sip from a firehose while someone's smashing you in the face with a flat iron skillet." There's just too much information, and it's coming at you from all directions at once, and you don't have any context in place to help you sort it all out.

This site is a great resource, particularly for tutorials, and I think that watching a whole bunch of video tutorials ... fairly short ones, really ... might be the best place to start. Just put your hands firmly in your pockets, well away from the keyboard and the mouse, and look. While you're doing so, keep a journal. (In a thin three-ring binder, on notebook paper, with a number-two pencil.) Look at a very simple project that you think you might be able to accomplish, and as you encounter things, ponder how they might relate to your idea. As you have questions, write them down and then ... let them go. (Having written them down, you cannot lose them.)

Don't be afraid to take the tiniest baby steps. Keep that journal open all the time, and do not throw away any version of any file when you finally do pick up some piece of software and start trying to do things. But let that be ... "starting in earnest three or four months from now ..." In the meantime, observe.

TheThinkingAtheist
07-12-2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the advice!

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2010, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.