PDA

View Full Version : Linear Displacement

blazelet
07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere, I've been trying to search but haven't found a solution yet.

I have a situation where I am gamma correcting my renders by using a .4545 gamma in the framebuffer. I now need to invert the gamma on my displacement node to keep it uncorrected but I am not sure how to do that ...

Currently I have my displacement texture feeding into a bump2d node as a 'Tangent Space Normal' which goes into a misss_set_normal node which then plugs into my SSS shader.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

TaKIKO
07-11-2010, 02:23 AM
disregard****

blazelet
07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, I couldn't figure out how to gamma correct the displacement going through the misss_set_normal node into an SSS shader in Maya ... any place I could put a gamma correction node either wouldnt work or the available connections were inadequate.

When I ended up doing was opening my displacement map in Photoshop and did gamma correction there, saved it out and used the gamma corrected disp map in Mental Ray as usual.

I still have some testing to do to make sure I'm not losing anything by this method but so far everything seems ok - all the obvious problems I was having doing it in seperate render layers are gone.

Thanks,

Ryan

illbrat
07-15-2010, 07:43 PM
You only need to gamma correct textures that are to be used for color. Displacement textures are for data only, no color information.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2010, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.