PDA

View Full Version : How do I make something invisible in Maya but render normally?

mikecawood
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Our character, Death, has new Mental Ray shaders and her glasses show up black in the preview window, despite being clear in the render. Does anyone know a way to make them invisible in the Maya window but render normally in Mental Ray? I've already experimented with the 'Hardware Texture' options for the shader but they stay black. I don't just want to put the geometry in a display layer as we'll end up confusing the animators or forgetting to render the glass in the final render. Someone suggested unticking the LOD on the Geometry but that stopped it rendering as well. Any ideas?

http://api.ning.com/files/k4jnq3*V1nefnz3ehN3tHGFOe-PiHnETd-M9Loj85W0NEoz54UrIogMBV7mivORX/Black_Glasses_Issue.jpg

This the discussion on the subject so far:
http://devilsangelsanddating.ning.com/photo/black-glasses-issue

ytsejam1976
07-10-2010, 05:50 PM
if i understand well your problem:

assign maya base shader like blinn, phong or any you want. After it, assing on custom shaders mental ray on shading group, a mia material on material slot, shadowslot and photons slot. Set blinn transparency up and you have fix the problem.

Hasnz
07-10-2010, 10:14 PM
what ytsejam1976 already said should do the trick

mikecawood
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Sorry I'm not clear on what you're suggesting. Do I make a layered shader inccluding a Blinn or Phong? Or do I make a Blinn and drop my existing Mia material on it somewhere? If it's the latter I'm not clear on where I drop the Mia material. Can you explain a little more? Thanks.

Hasnz
07-11-2010, 11:37 PM
.Assign blinn material on the geometry . Go the to shading group of this material and you will find a mentalray > custom shader options . Drag the mia_material in the material , shadow and photon shader slots .
This way the viewport will display the blinn material , but on render time the mentalray option will override and render the mia_material .

mikecawood
07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Hasnz. That got it. Much appreciated!

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.