PDA

View Full Version : making a terrain...

ottoatom
09-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi folks..
I'm making a 3d terrain for a training project, and I'm having some difficulties..
The file I'm working from is composed of level lines (i'm not shure that's the way to call them, it's the lines that define the slope) and as an alternative there are also dots. thos level lines donīt connect themselfes, they're cut. The file is in dwg format. I remeber having made that topology with autocad landscape but Now I dont have it and I dont remember anyway how to do it.. I have access to autocad 2004, lightwave, rhino and max5. Can anyone show me how to do that? Thanks in advance!

sevenfingers
09-23-2003, 05:31 AM
Look up "Geometry - Compound objects - Terrain" in Max 5...

joie
09-23-2003, 09:09 AM
Is there another way to do it without MAX?, somekind of program that may be useful... I am in the same situation.

ottoatom
09-23-2003, 01:37 PM
thx sevenfingers! I will use that solution, but the pb with max is that it uses lots of ram... I'm having difficulties working with that size of mesh... If you know how to resolve this pb, shoot ;)

Garma
09-24-2003, 11:29 AM
joie: I know Bryce has a great landscape editor. works with b/w pictures where white denotes high and black low terrain, the usual technique. After creating the file in photoshop, bryce has great tools for modifying and adjusting your terrain.

However that's all bryce is good at so you should export your terrain and import it in your favourite 3D program

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.