PDA

View Full Version : Too many polygons, hard to animate.

Hakushinkan
07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey,

I'm modeling a car, and I'm not very experienced with smoothing little details.
I created the rim without a tutorial so I had to model and smooth everything on it on my own.
The rim is modeled fine, but I used subdivs to smooth it, and even at level 2 it has far too many polygons.

I can keep working, but as long as the rim is viewed, maya is working pretty slow which really harms my workflow. I don't even want to know what will happen when I take this car into animation.

It works slow only when I turn on shading. On wire frame it only takes a while when I select the rim.

I was wondering if there's a way to view the wheel in a lower complexity, and have it only present the high detail in the final render. That would help me a lot.

Also, sometimes maya suddenly ignores all hotkeys.
This happens out of nowhere in maya 2011 64-bit. It can happen after 10 seconds of working with the software, or after 2 hours, or more. I don't seem to see any trigger for this. Hotkeys for move/scale/rotate stop working, G, Y, F - everything stops working. The only thing that keeps on working is ctrl-S for saving, and probably some other windows commands.

If you know what's causing this and/or how to fix it I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hakushinkan
07-09-2010, 02:09 PM
OK,

I overcame the polygon count problem by recreating the subdiv rim and making it a polygon, vertex method. Now it's perfectly fine and smooth.

The only thing left, is that bug with the hotkeys =\

joryayer
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Can you "Show - > Isolate Select" any objects to get around it?

However, to be completely honest, it's hard to really answer this question, especially with the lack of factors being known (PC specs, total poly counts, etc).

Hakushinkan
07-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Can you "Show - > Isolate Select" any objects to get around it?

However, to be completely honest, it's hard to really answer this question, especially with the lack of factors being known (PC specs, total poly counts, etc).

My PC is a core i7 920, 6GB of memory, Radeon 5850 as a video card.
I solved this problem by rebuilding the mesh as a polygonal mesh.

Now there's only the hotkey problem...

twodfxman
07-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually it's pretty easy to answer. Use proxies if the rim is finished.
Sorry can't tell how to use them as I never used them myself, but most animators use them so they don't have to animate hi-res meshes.

nmcelmury
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I would recommend not subdividing until you are about to render. When you are animating, keep the smooth node on the object set to 0, then when you are finished animating and ready to render, turn up the subdivisions to whatever you like.

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.