PDA

View Full Version : Particles forming sentence help

simply
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi, i have a scene where i need particles in form of alphabet letters to form a sentence and then after some time be blown away. I managed to get particles in sentence to be blown away by using a birth script to a pre created sentence, but not sure on how to get the letters to form this sentence in the first place.
Currently i am reversing the sentence being blown away to create a forming animation. Is there any way i could do this just in particle flow? How do i get letters particles to go to the position as defined in the birth script of the pre created sentence?

Piflik
07-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Use a Position Object to Spawn the Particles on the Text object. Then use a Script Operator to store each Particle's Position in its Vector Channel. Use a second Position Operator to move the Particles wherever you want them to spawn. With a Find Target Test set to 'by Script Vector' you can make the Particles find their previous Location on the Text Object.

Here (http://www.vfxsolution.com/allanmckay2/tutorials/tut_ObjAB.avi) 's a tutorial by Allan McKay.

sachinjoshi
07-10-2010, 04:05 PM
heres the link to the tutorial, exactly what you wanted.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/assemblydisassembly-with-particle-flow-in-3ds-max/

simply
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys for ur replies.

But the problem i have is how to get particles to form back to the exact position that i have set in the birth script. I already have the particles in form of alphabet letters being blown away by wind. Right now i am doing a reverse of the animation in post, but was wondering how am i able to do the assembly and disassembly of the sentence in particle flow.

Piflik, i have seen the tutorial that u have mentioned. If i store each Particle's Position in its Vector Channel in the birth script, then what do i pick for as a target in the find target test operator? I dunno much about scripting. Thanks

JohnnyRandom
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
If i store each Particle's Position in its Vector Channel in the birth script, then what do i pick for as a target in the find target test operator?

Just make sure that your Script Operator is before the Find Target Test and set the Find Target to "By Script Vector" in the Target Group-> Point parameter.

simply
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
I got it to work. Thanks everyone.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.