PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Spaniards - Maxwell Render 40% off

cgbeige
07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
For anyone who's interested in Maxwell Render, there's a sale on right now thanks to Spain winning yesterday (the sale percentage keeps going up every time they win):

"As an added bonus, Maxwell Render Standard and Node licenses are now available at 40% off!

And donít forget, if Spain win the World Cup on July 11th, the discount goes up to 50%! And we will keep the discount going for a week after the final."

Great renderer, so it's a good price at $600 and a steal at $500.

EDIT: They won! Get Maxwell for cheap.

pix3lm0nk
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
damn.. if only Chaos Group were that generous!!!

cgbeige
07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Maybe if Bulgaria ever wins the world cup. :p

MaxTarpini
07-08-2010, 10:33 PM
btw, germany won too much to believe mi would have adopted any discount on mray if germany had to go for another final. while for italy.. well none is dev'ing hq renderers anyway ..

ciao, max

pbraganca
07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
A Maya thread where soccer can be discussed without going off-topic : )

DuttyFoot
07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
A Maya thread where soccer can be discussed without going off-topic : )

Isn't that just great. The Maxwell deal doesn't sound too bad at all. I'm waiting to see if they win to get 50 percent off even though its quite the risk to take.

MaxTarpini
07-09-2010, 03:37 PM
well not that great risk ...

The bookmakers have Spain clear favourites to win this match in ninety minutes with almost all going for 11/10 so the few that have them at odds on should be avoided. For a Netherlands win, 5/2 and 11/4 are popular but 14/5 is available. Again for the draw, 9/4 and 11/5 are common but 23/10 is available.

ciao, max

DuttyFoot
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
octopus predicted germany was going to lose to spain and now it seems it says spain will win the world cup.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Paul-the-octopus-has-made-his-final-selections?urn=sow,254898

eddgarpv
07-09-2010, 10:29 PM
So the potential buyers can wait 'til next sunday and enjoy the goals with some pata negra, ribera del duero wine and a 50%-discount maxwell license :)

I never tried maxwell, but the nuke plugin seems interesting. I wonder if AtomKraft and Katana will be similar.

cgbeige
07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
The nuke plug-in isn't a renderer. It just breaks up rendered floating point MXI rendering into separate light passes. The Photoshop plugin does the same

slipknot66
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Well, Splutterfish could release a Maya version of Brazil.
.....as its the only country that won 5 times the world cup :D

DuttyFoot
07-10-2010, 06:13 AM
other than being out before the octane render engine, whats the difference between it and maxwell.

cgbeige
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Octane is a long way off from getting where Maxwell is. It's promising for sure but it lacks a lot in its current state and it will take a while to get most of this:

- area lights or material lights (being worked on now). You can only use environment HDR / sun and sky so it's kind of useless for interiors unless they are lit from outside entirely.
- Multilight or pass information (Maxwell is limited but still has a shadow and material matte, normals, etc)
- colour depth over 8-bit for output
- blade bokeh for DoF
- caustics
- SSS and translucence/absorption (not planned until version 2)
- true diffraction (I doubt this is coming)
- True Maya integration. You can't set Octane material settings in Maya - it's just an exporter for an OBJ basically.
- True motion blur. Octane has a camera-based motion blur, that's it.
- a bunch more stuff

Octane will take a couple years to compete with Maxwell really. It's very promising but it's not good for much beyond turntables and open scenes right now. As simple as the background is on my site, I couldn't do this in Octane because it uses SSS and area lights:

http://www.can-con.ca/

DuttyFoot
07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
thanks for the detailed info on the differences between both render engines. Hopefully spain will win and we can get the 50 percent off.

DuttyFoot
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
thanks for the detailed info on the differences between both render engines. Hopefully spain will win and we can get the 50 percent off.

sorry for the double post. it was taking forever for my post to go through so i stopped firefox and waited a while and then hit reply a second time.

cgbeige
07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
bump - they won. 50% off for a week.

DuttyFoot
07-13-2010, 03:11 AM
i am trying the demo and this thing is really slow.

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 06:17 AM
it's not fast but it's doing a lot more all at once than any other renderer. If you set V-Ray to unbiased settings, it's brutally slow and it doesn't do diffraction.

Cometsoft
07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
CGBeige,

After your very helpful answer to my Painter installation issue (BTW which appears to have been removed from the system) I'm embarrassed to ask...

Any experiences using Maxwell with a render node over an Airport Network say between an 8 Core Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro for still images? The price for the render nodes is halved too.

I noticed a couple of apparently unresolved issues in the Maxwell Network OSX support forums and it doesn't look like you can download a trial network render node.

For anyone who's interested in Maxwell Render, there's a sale on right now thanks to Spain winning yesterday (the sale percentage keeps going up every time they win):

"As an added bonus, Maxwell Render Standard and Node licenses are now available at 40% off!

And donít forget, if Spain win the World Cup on July 11th, the discount goes up to 50%! And we will keep the discount going for a week after the final."

Great renderer, so it's a good price at $600 and a steal at $500.

EDIT: They won! Get Maxwell for cheap.

cgbeige
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't add network overhead to renders just for an additional two cores.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.