PDA

View Full Version : Why is this one Face??

Rewi
07-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I just cant figure out where i've gone wrong with this. I've used booleans to punch holes in a flattened rectangle and now I'm getting strange results as I try to split polygons around the hole. The Face selected in this image has 13 tris but is just 1 face.. I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks

ixumanu
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
try to weld/collapse the vertexes. there may be more vertexes in the same place, not welded.

Stalsby
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
The object you used to boolean the shape probably had that many sides so it automatically made that many on your original model, just cut in the geometry with the cut tool, if there is one, I'm not very sure, I'm a Max user. Hopefully this helps.

nmcelmury
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm a max user too, but this will sometimes happen with boolean objects, they tend to leave stray verts hanging on edges and can result in some very strange looking faces.

Check to make sure all the verts are welded up and that there aren't any isolated vertices hanging out on edges that aren't connecting to anything. I would venture a guess and say that's where your 13 triangles for one face is coming from.

You could aways just delete the faces, clean up any stray verts, and manually re-cap them.

Rewi
07-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, I've figured out where i screwed up! The verts were all good, but the problem was caused when i used the split polygon tool(cut faces tool in Max i think). The edges selected in the image below were split. I deleted these edges and split them 1 at a time and BAM! No problemo. Thans again for the help!

ohjin
07-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Always try to keep your topology nice and clean. This means try to keep to only quads. This will help with smoothing later on. Try to preplan where and how you are going to cut, (Booleon is great, but dont use it lazily) this is a very important mindset to get into. If you can, you will have some very nice smooth looking meshes.

Ive compiled a quick vid to demonstrate. Hope it helps.

Video Tutorial
(http://ohjintutorials.blogspot.com/)

Rewi
07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Thank you Ohjin! your tutorial is exactly what i needed. It looks so much better than my mess of a mesh..:thumbsup:

ohjin
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
One mistake i made in my video is i should have cut some lines in to connect up the corners, to keep to the 4 sided polygon rule. Im sure you'll to a better job than me at doing that. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.