PDA

View Full Version : vray superbright pixels

longrayjohnson
07-08-2010, 10:53 AM
hi,

i am struggling with superbright pixels on glossy materials. i searched and did not really find a good solution other than cranking up the sample quality which results in insane rendertimes.
anyone has any good settings for use in animation ?

bigbossfr
07-08-2010, 12:32 PM
hi,

i am struggling with superbright pixels on glossy materials. i searched and did not really find a good solution other than cranking up the sample quality which results in insane rendertimes.
anyone has any good settings for use in animation ?

Hi,
Go to render global, Vray, color mapping, check : subpixel mapping.
If you are sun, hide the sun.
If it isn't working, set a "smooth" Antialiasing filter (gaussian or other).

TaKIKO
08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you using the sun and sky or vray lights? Either way go into your lights and check on 'Invisible'.

irwit
08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I get the same issue.

There are work arounds such as sub pixel mapping and hiding the offending objects but I was quite disappointed with how bad the problem is compared with mental ray.

Clamping the output has been my best way of fixing this and getting much better render times, however you obviously lose a lot of control you would of otherwise had in post.

Hopefully this issue will be looked into soon as Mental Ray deals with stuff like this a lot better imo. Some kind of pixel filtering where results that are obvioulsy way too high and causing the issue are filtered out.

Samo
08-03-2010, 06:27 PM
More sampling, eye ray sampling and area (area, sphere, background) sampling. It is the same in all render engines I believe. Maybe you can make that sampling adaptive.

Hamburger
08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
Some kind of pixel filtering where results that are obvioulsy way too high and causing the issue are filtered out.

Well "subpixel mapping" option kind of does this like you mention. But I notice V-Ray has problems with lights in "default" units mode that are too bright.

Another thing is that interpolation is missing in V-Ray mats in Maya so that would help too when it gets implemented (although interpolation on reflections is kind of useless in animations).

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2010, 01:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.