PDA

View Full Version : The Punisher, Eoin (3D)

eoin
09-22-2003, 06:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/47500/Punisher_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/47500/Punisher.jpg)

Hey everyone,

Here's a model I have finished recently, "The Punisher" (my take on him)

I wanted to do a different take on Marvels character "Frank Castle".
I've always thought of him as an older character and wanted this to come across in the model, he is a Vietnam vet after all.
I've tried to make him look more thoughtful, mature and less cheesy (no white boots or belt here) :hmm:
I've gone for a "big strong" build as apposed to Mr. muscle.
Anyway here you go..

http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/The-Punisher_06.jpg

modelled in Maya. 4400 Poly's, texture pages, head 1: 256x256, body 1: 512x512.

p.s. Oh yeah my site's now up if anyone cares to have a look, there are a few areas I need to finish/add more content to but you'll get the idea, I'm very busy and will get around to polishing it as soon as I can :hmm:

http://www.eoincolgan.com/

tongplai
09-22-2003, 06:43 PM
great:beer:

ninjacore
09-22-2003, 07:31 PM
good stuff! he looks hard a nails! i like the textures.

some sweet stuff on your site too!

ToastMan
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
WOW! Nice job on the textures. I almost cant believe its low poly.

hom
09-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Yes great work eoin. Nice and clean texturing.

- John

Jo B.
09-22-2003, 08:24 PM
texture god!...
great!
i have a pretty unusual question...
mind giving us a wireframe..?

greetz...

otacon
09-22-2003, 08:49 PM
I love the punisher!:buttrock: This is a very awsome model for being so low poly. Textures look great!:thumbsup:

cg81
09-22-2003, 08:52 PM
:thumbsup:

Really nice work

5 stars for this very nice work.

Konstruct
09-22-2003, 08:55 PM
yeah definately frontpage,--- (again)
so your one of the warthog guys eh? good to know it, wiro`s been one of my favs for a long long time. :surprised

spm
09-22-2003, 08:58 PM
hey! do you make stuff for the swedish game developing stodio called warthog?

verbal007
09-22-2003, 09:51 PM
As an old fan of Frank, I definately have to give you the thumbs up on this one. Awesome work!

- Jeremy

KolbyJukes
09-22-2003, 09:54 PM
definitely front page stuff...beautiful...

Is this for a game based on the upcoming movie?

-Kol.

Mindkontrol
09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Omg that is awsome! Great representation of one of my favorite comic heros...Nice modelling and maps, Nothing more to say...

the_zed_axis
09-22-2003, 11:09 PM
nice work dude
i am a reeeeeal big fan of the punisher i have almost everything ever published by marvel on this guy and you really have done 'justice' .

keep up the good work
would love to see him kick ass in an animation

TuLe
09-22-2003, 11:23 PM
WoW... This is really nice!
Very accurate character, nice comic fell to it...

I wish all the heroes game models were that good!
Congrats man, really nice stuff!

Pull out a little animation now! :D

:Thanks:

Reaper21x
09-23-2003, 01:22 AM
That's awesome! Reminds me a little bit of Sam Fisher, which reminds me of The Punisher.

Keiyentai
09-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Holy Hell!!! For thre love of God PLEASE MAKE A UT version of HIM.......:drool: Best Loy Poly moidel i have seen in a LONG TIME

Matt
09-23-2003, 01:55 AM
This is awesome work.

The only thing I would change is his logo on his shirt. Since you're going for a more realistic look, I would have made the skull logo look like he painted it with his fingers.

Wiro
09-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Really sweet work on that one man! I really love those textures! I do think his butt looks a bit too narrow and thighs a bit thin for having such a broad upper body.
Other than that I love his shape. Great stuff, I'd like to see a wireframe too.

I like Matt's idea of a fingerpainted skull too.

And hey...what...WHAT...are THOSE pics doing in your Photos section??? :blush:

Wiro

eoin
09-23-2003, 02:47 AM
Hey everyone,

Glad you like it all,

Doing your own "take" on an established character is always fun :)

Yeah Matt I was toying around with a few things like the logo for instance, having it rougher looking as he probably would have painted it on himself. Its one of those things that walks a fine line and I wasn't sure if it would take away from it.
I'm sure there was other stuff I was toying around with but I cant remember?! I think I got the majority of things that I wanted to get across like big/strong neck, piercing eyes, grey sideburns, weathered face and so on.

Here's another pic of him in case you haven't been on my site.
I'm going to put him in some more classic "Punisher" Poses when I get time. I'll post some wires up when I'm back in work.

http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/Punisher_Stance_08.jpg
Weapon done by John Lomax (http://www.johnlomax.com/) ..good job too.

Oh Wiro, ..those pics of you are staying there too :)

I'm off to bed now, its 1:45am over here...:wise:

Later Everyone,

-Eoin

Cyborgguineapig
09-23-2003, 03:06 AM
wow this looks badaaaasss!:thumbsup:

StuJ
09-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Hey Eoin this is a cool take on the Punisher,
you've really captured the essence of Frank Castle there in all his glory.

Is this for a game or just for fun???

Checked out your site too , nice stuff.

Morphecy
09-23-2003, 05:25 PM
creepy :thumbsup:

eoin
09-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Wires..

Yeah got around to doing some today.
There's bigger wires on my site in Gallery 1. I'm still updating all 3D galleries, check in "Gallery 4" at a later date for more wire work, yeah I think I'll put any wire work in there from now on and any other bits and bobs I dig out.

http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/The-Punisher-Wire.jpg

http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/The-Punisher-Wire-Head.jpg

-Eoin

Ac0rN
09-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Nice textures ! :thumbsup:

Strang
09-24-2003, 04:00 AM
I am so suprised this didn't get more recongnition...

great job eoin, textures, model....

great job...

-Strang

KingFurryWobblr
09-24-2003, 04:04 AM
Is that the same model as the one from the Battlestar set, just with a different texture?

Would have been nice to see a new pose too ;)

Good stuff though. So you touting for a job?

samtack
09-24-2003, 04:41 AM
man id love to know how you textured that...looks very nice...is some or most of that from photos? or is it painted?

sixthe45
09-24-2003, 06:46 AM
Is this a model for the punisher game?
I have heard some movie is been made too on the character.
By the way good work on modelling and texturing.

eoin
09-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Samtack : Photos ref? Nope, all done fresh in Photoshop. I'll post you a texture page.
The ref I used was just looking a comics of the Frank and going for a middle ground between comic and reality.

KingFurryWobblr : Same mesh? No, the legs are similar but Its a fresh new mesh.

sixthe45 : For game? Nope, ..built with game in mind, but just for fun.

theotheo
09-24-2003, 03:22 PM
very well done! love the textures!

BaranWearraan
09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Excellent character ! Very cool :applause:

samartin
09-24-2003, 03:41 PM
WOW, I saw this from the front-page and thought it was a really nice sketch, surprised to find out it's actually 3D. Top texturing indeed...

maxtor
09-24-2003, 03:44 PM
This is a fantastic tribute to one of the more interesting marvel characters........everything looks fantastic .......He is a model screaming for some animation........do you have any anim tests to post?

:beer:

RatPoiZon
09-24-2003, 03:49 PM
dude THATS AWESOME... no more words... i'm speachless...

jum'bok
09-24-2003, 03:50 PM
yay lild fixed my account! :love:

i've always thought the punisher should look older too. i agree with removing those other cheesy bits as well. best part is you can still it's him even though you can only see the face on the front page.

nice work with this character.

daraand
09-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Funny thing you mention the Punisher - they're filming it about 100 feet away from me (John t ravolta just did a movie scene in which he gets into a car - he's the bad guy)

Its near a bank of america building - I'm at Univ Tampa btw

HOmz
09-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Well done!:thumbsup:

Im a big Marvel fan and thats the best adaptation of the punisher ive seen yet! I think uve given him character that hes been lacking in the past! Keep up the great work!

Neil
09-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Add my "WOW" to the list. :)

renderwoman
09-24-2003, 04:15 PM
oh,what a nice modelling,texturing and compositing...
very nice....well-done! well-done!
amazing...
hope u succes

blasphemy3_d
09-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Amazing work man!

He looks like a low poly model Isn´t it?

Remind me the stile of MGS Characters.

congrats!

Jedi_Sav
09-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Amazing take on the Punisher Character.

Smooth and clean Textures.

Like the little skull logo on the back, nice touch.

Salaadin
09-24-2003, 04:48 PM
great work man,, im a big fan of poly modeling and what you have up there is fantastic ..i like :)
keep it up

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vash T Stampede
09-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Excellent work my friend! I commend you!

:bowdown: The texturework is Super!

ONE teensy thing though:

his weapon looks like a bit like modified/custom MP5 A2 assault rifle, isn't it missing a clip? :shrug:

other then that superB

:applause:

hom
09-24-2003, 05:13 PM
The weapon was originally for a FPS done for an older project, so I gave it to eoin. The game design required that look.

Incidently you can view those weapons here:

http://www.johnlomax.com/gun.htm

- John

SangHanArt
09-24-2003, 05:40 PM
All of you work seems to have the same quality and consistency. I checkout your site btw. All characters have nice weight and balance. Sometimes marvel characters can be cheesy with their little bright tights, but your interpretation is very cool. :buttrock:

NightFox
09-24-2003, 06:04 PM
When I first saw the thumbnail on the front page, I thought : "Damn, Bobo the Seal's at it again..."

Then I bring up the thread and my jaw drops again. ;-)

Very awesome work right there. Very much like how the comic books used to be. But as soon as the new movie comes out, I'm sure they'll all shift a bit towards the movie type. They keep leaning that way with the artwork.

Kick ass work, clean modelling, top notch texture job.

You should do that for a living. lol. ;-)

rob.o.neill
09-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Congrats on getting onto the front page, keep up the good work Eoin.

Rob

ShinChanPu
09-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Great model!!! I like the proportions overall. Can we see him in motion???

mindrot
09-24-2003, 07:15 PM
:applause: Awesome man. I remember your Batlestar Gallactia works. I personally prefer your version to marvel's. Great work!!!

jjburton
09-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Great texturing, clean modeling, phenomenal job:applause:

JahnkeKong
09-24-2003, 07:27 PM
Completely brilliant! I love the model, I looooooove the textures!
Really really captured the Punisher style!

The-3D-Data-Labs-Guy
09-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Wow thats great man.. I really like it:love:

CDS
09-24-2003, 07:38 PM
On the whole I would say it kicks some butt. At a quick glance the only thing I'd add would be a touch more vascularity, it would bring out the intensity (Hard Factor) of the character. Especially some bicep vascularity.

Nice work!

robin
09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Sexy work here, i thought it was a full geared high poly character.

this will prolly make me wanna do my own :)

Splendid

jamesjhunt
09-24-2003, 08:12 PM
great model! well done textures... like it!

Terro
09-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Great work. :buttrock:

phoenix
09-24-2003, 08:52 PM
very nice

Revilo
09-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Very cool...sorry I didn't read all the posts but are you planning on redesigning any other characters?

Pete Latrofa
09-24-2003, 09:15 PM
The Punisher is such a good character. I thought he was especially cool when Jim Lee was drawing him.

I like the rugged older look you gave him. that is how i have always pictured him as well.

awesome job and great modeling and texturing.

o-phile
09-24-2003, 09:22 PM
dude, this is a sweet lookin pun.
i'd love it as a UT model, that'd be hella sweet

giobianco1
09-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Great work eoin!!!
:applause:

headengine
09-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Absolutely great. Just exemplary stuff!! I love it.

Nice to see another Irishman on the board too.. :)

AtrusDni
09-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Great great work. Textures and model are top notch. I tried as hard as I could to find something to critique on . . . the only thing I might say would be to add a few more polys in the legs to make then not quite so blocky, like around the thigh area, but that is totally a matter of taste. Awesome job man.

Garma
09-24-2003, 09:47 PM
He kicks ass! (in two ways)

-=THE_PUNISHER=
09-24-2003, 09:56 PM
awesome model

my favorite character :applause: :thumbsup:

hackie
09-24-2003, 10:16 PM
this is pretty good texture.
almost commercial quality out there:thumbsup:
i visited your website which is full of cool stuff too!!
good job!!!

ji.

JA-forreal
09-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Ah, great work! Maybe Hollywood can take a hint from some of the fine artistic visionaries on this forum.

That's one cool looking Punisher. Dolf Lundgren starred in a Punisher film that was a somewhat good (video tape\cable worthy) portrayal of the comic book. Hehe. Maybe they will do a better job with the next one. I wonder who they will use for the role this time arround. Hummmm.

shujumy
09-24-2003, 10:57 PM
i like it very nice modeling and texturing..

keep up the good works like this :thumbsup:

Larrikin
09-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Fantastic. A work of art.:buttrock:

mage111
09-25-2003, 12:02 AM
wow, tbh, i love your idea of what the punisher is. he just seems alot more realistic. meh but what do i know, other then, this is awesome work, GJ man, cant wait to see more of your work.

GL

Modron
09-25-2003, 01:51 AM
I have an old copy of 'the punisher magazine' in which he is depicted in much the same way. Probably would be hard to find though, as it dates back probably to the early 80s. Very nice modelling, and the UV mapping is superb. Nice work man.

Dave Black
09-25-2003, 02:49 AM
eoin:

This is by far one of the most inspiring works I've ever seen on this forum. Which is saying something.

Might I ask a personal favor? Would it be possible for you to post your texture sheets? Really small or with water marks so as to not put anything at risk. I sorta want everyone(including myself) to see how you laid out your UVs. Perhaps it's asking too much, and if so, I appologise.

And....Wiro....dear heavens those shots are GOLD....eoin, you MUST keep them up. Gosh...and to think your could have easily blackmailed him with those, but instead decided to put 'em up...nicely done.

Oh, and Wiro, if you are reading, why is it that every time I see a pic of you you're either drunk or angry? Hmmm...Wiro is an angry drunk? Who would have known!?

:p

eoin, again, amazing work. Thanks a ton for sharing!

-3DZ

:D

d_hansbury
09-25-2003, 03:40 AM
I mean, he's gotta go through alot of shirts with all of that fighting, punishing, etc. I just want to know if he makes 'em as he goes along, gets 'em made from some shop or takes the time to silk screen them himself.

ah well.

Realistik
09-25-2003, 05:00 AM
Oh Wow...it's like a marvel masterpiece from the '94 comic cards..transformed into a 3d game model. Niceeeeeee. Youldn't happen to be one of those marvel master piece artists would you? :p :buttrock:

PureFire
09-25-2003, 05:36 AM
OMG thats such an awesome character adaptation...kickass modelling and texturing!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

hanzo
09-25-2003, 06:54 AM
:rolleyes: forgive me if you had already posted the answer to this question but what is the poly count on dat dude?

thanks for posting this, please also post closeup wires of his hands I'm curious.

ionanism
09-25-2003, 06:56 AM
This is a truly awesome piece of work, I originally though it was a high res character.
The detail in the face is superb.

The only thing that I have to say is that the skull looks too clean and pretty, It would look cool if you made it all “crackly.” I have this old TOOL shirt, the front is a sold white TOOL logo, now the ink all crackled. Make the skull look like that, crackled t-shirt ink, maybe just subtly all over and a bit more heavily where your torso bends like by the belly.

Just a though.

JayCMiller
09-25-2003, 08:42 AM
awsome work eoin, When I saw the thumbnail(CGTalk homepage) I thought to myself "this guy looks like the punisher" he's even got the John Romita Jr noise/face and Jim Lee body, best of both worlds. Though Mark Texera was my fav. punisher artist.

Blackrainbow
09-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Great model, and texture!!

Awesome work!!!:thumbsup:

elvis
09-25-2003, 10:31 AM
when i think of the punisher, that's the sort of thing i see in my head. i've seen some previews for the up coming punisher movie, and they've made him look about 25 years old! totally rediculous.

great modelling, and nice to see such high quality from low poly. are you planning to export this to any game engine character models? this would look very cool thrashing about in ut2003 or quake3.

christiano J
09-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Top notch. Strong posses too.

Zoo
09-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Great work :)

Sausage
09-25-2003, 01:44 PM
First time back to CGTalk for months. Nice to see your work here, Eoin. Excellent stuff. (as always)

Right, I'm gonna pop along to your website now.

eoin
09-25-2003, 05:08 PM
I'm humbled by all of your comments (too many to mention), thanks again to Moderators for front page.

3DZealot: thanks for you uplifting words :) Here's the texture pages for you and anyone else who interested...

Hanzo: 4400ploys (triangles)

Yeah I always try to maximise resolution as much as possible so I will usually fill the texture space with one side of the head, if there are any alterations to his face (cuts, markings) I'll use the bottom section (copy and paste texture area) that's left at the last stage to mix up the detail a bit, it all depends on the subject matter.
http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/FC_Face_01.jpg

I'll also try to get on the body, as many straight (natural) edges as possible to make lining up seams as easy as possible, if you put the work in here your job is practically done for you in my opinion
I've put a faint mesh over the top so you can see how I've lined things up.
http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/FC_Body_01a.jpg

Oh yeah, I did start on the "Kingpin" (mesh is W.I.P.) but I will definitely not get to finish it any time soon, anyway I just put some flat shaders on it, maybe some day I'll get round to it..
http://www.eoincolgan.com/images/3D/KingPin_Untextured_01.jpg

thanks once again,

-Eoin

xLonewolfx
09-25-2003, 05:19 PM
hey man great work there!

sorry to ask but..

can i have this model please?

i wanna try texture it

i also emailed you
so let me know

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ilya Vostrov
09-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Great! Realy great.... waitinforaGame! :buttrock:

JonnyNewo
09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Very nice work!

Dave Black
09-25-2003, 07:48 PM
eoin:

Lovely UVs and texturing. Thank you so very much for taking the time to post those. I am truley learning a great deal from your work. Thanks for the little tips...awsome stuff.

One thing I keep noticing is your joints(on the model). Could you perhaps mention the theory behind why they are structured that way? I often see joints for game models made incorrectly, and while I understand what not to do, I am curious to see the thinking behind the way you created them.

I appologise if I'm asking too many questions.

Again, lovely piece. My only gripe is the weapon. While it's well modeled(though completly fictional), it does'nt have that punisher feel. Especially with the way you've done him. I'd love to see some 80's era weapons like UZIs/MAC 10s, or an old colt commando m16a1. The weapon he has now is almost too futuristic for him, but it's still very cool. Just some thoughts. I also realize how much modeling one of those would take, so I completly understand not including them. Perhaps in the future.

Thanks again for sharing all this!

-3DZ

:D

eoin
09-26-2003, 06:23 PM
No problem at all man.

I'll post some mesh joints deforming next week when I'm back at my PC (going away for the weekend) to show more clearly how I've gone about it.

I totally agree with you about the weapon! an 80's weapon would have gone down a treat but it was the time constraint that stopped me looking into it.

maybe next time eh?!

I'm working on a few things now at the min, I'll keep you posted..

eoin
09-28-2003, 10:23 PM
-

eoin
09-28-2003, 10:23 PM
-

keeganb
09-28-2003, 10:32 PM
EXCELLENT Work Eoin, your best work to date man. I don't know how you manage to raise the bar everytime you do your next piece!? I'm delighted everyone at cgtalk is biggin you up you deseve it for your solid artwork!

I love The Punishers face, In my opinion It's what makes this piece stand out from the crowd. Theres alot of character there and this more mature Pun Kicks @ss! I can tell you thought alot about what you wanted to do before you created that first poly!

I agree with 3D Zealot on his weapons chat, no excuses lazyboy I want to see The punisher fire a few rounds from an Ak-47!

Congrats on the Amazing work!

Keeganb

p.s I'll have to post my work soon so watch man cause I'm hot on your trail

www.bigfizz.com

greengold
09-30-2003, 08:53 PM
AWESOME:eek:
You have definitely captured the look of the Punisher character. He has always been one of my favorites. Great detail for such
a low poly count too!
Marvel should definitely use your look, maybe even get it published on one of the comic book covers! its the best one I've seen in a long time.

lildragon
10-05-2003, 12:36 PM
Wow of the best low-poly characters I seen come across here, you did an amazing job with those 4400 polys. Well done.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_sept03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

nat
10-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Gasp! I'm amazed! I just visited your website and you show great work!
This is perfect! I don't have anything else to say...

Bravo :)

lo_volt
10-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Wow! Looks like you're a fan. I been reading the Punisher for a few years and I been wanting to see a CG Punisher for a while. Now all is left is to animate him wasting some punks.

DeadPoole
12-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Great model and very impressive texturing.

ashdale62
04-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Hey Eoin,

Wonderful piece of work. you sure have excelled or maybe when i saw ur work before u never had the chance to shine like this.

outstanding again.

Ash(Col)

Freakychakra
04-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Fantastic Eoin!

Do you plan on doing any texture tutorials?

doublerr
07-08-2004, 04:32 PM
nice textures and modelling ! GREAT

pearl3d
07-10-2004, 08:51 PM
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

really niceeeeee :thumbsup:

EBOLII
07-12-2004, 02:39 AM
Very impressive! The Punisher textures from what I see are perfect. Outstanding :buttrock:

mosconariz
07-12-2004, 06:51 AM
Wow! This is really inspiring :bowdown:

nacho_grande
07-21-2004, 10:07 PM
It rocks mate :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

ENIAC
07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
very powerful

Saikin
07-23-2004, 03:27 AM
pretty bad man....liking the detail and the whole look man. Very good

swampbug
12-20-2004, 10:13 PM
If you guys like this.. check out the punisher game comin out in Januaryish. :)

ohh yeah.. cool model too. Hes a could use more bulk.. but its ok this way.

Dragonrebourn
02-16-2005, 12:42 AM
The punisher is a tough character to nail,but you got it.Fantastic!

Gaara_06
03-20-2005, 11:47 PM
This is a good take on the punisher I'm a big fan of marvel this is good work.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2005, 11:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.