PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

Bleeeed
07-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Hi Guys,

After many weeks trolling these forums looking at tuts and other cg society members artwork
i can't seem to find a few answers to my questions hence this is why im asking in this thread
i hope you guys can help i'm interested in modeling for games characters assets etc..

When modeling a character does the base mesh have to be 1 solid object meaning not detached in parts head torso arms etc..? or is this acceptable to model game characters like this or is it totally out of the question? or would it make more sense importing each seperate part then welding them together to form the body i ask this question relating further down the page about the shell modifer,
i know you can get away with it for just still renders but would you have problems when it comes to rigging the character?

also i notice all these small details on people's characters belts pockets bullet shells all those fine little details are they seperate to the base mesh?
meaning that they are place in the appropriate spot and just clipped a little bit into the mesh to give it the look that it's connected but really it is floating? or are they somehow connected to the mesh?

I've been trying to add details on my characters like for example i wanted to make a breast plate armour piece i read that you can use shell modifer but i found i had to detach the section that i want to put the modifer on because if i didn't the shell modifer would apply to the whole mesh making the poly count skyrocket plus making my model fatter

is it better just selecting the poly's you want to make the armour outof and extrude?

sorry for all the questions but i have read countless tutorials and they really miss these points out or they don't cover them in full detail

thank you in advance.

Autarkis
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, model all your details seperately from your base mesh. Or, use a sculpting package to sculpt all those details in.
As for game mesh, you can cut in your mesh, rigging and painting weights should not cause too much of an issue as you can assign those parts to different bones.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.