PDA

View Full Version : need advice for schools in la area

Shadowstlkr
07-07-2010, 11:06 PM
alright so im moving out to los angeles soon for college and really want to work on computer animation for video games/movies ect. But i have no idea where to start and cant seem to find any real answers for my questions. What path should i take? self teaching? or should i try to go to an art school in the area? i dont really like the idea of taking out serious loans to go to gnomon as good as it looks and ive heard some bad things about AI. Should i try going to a community college and transferring to ucla? id just really appreciate some advice or input. any help is appreciated! :)

gawl126
07-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Rebeccak is the guru for schools in that area I believe. You should send her a pm or wait for her to reply. :)

I think that going to a community college then transferring to UCLA would be nice. I have a friend who will be doing her MFA there in animation (I think). Have you also considered animation mentor?

Also, each AI school really differs in quality and that normally changes when different Professors are hired. If you're considering an AI school, find out how they're currently doing and who the current Professors are.

Shadowstlkr
07-09-2010, 11:49 PM
alright ill try and send rebeccak a message :)

well ive never really heard much about animation mentor at all and the only things i saw on the specific ai i would be going to were bad reviews from kids in the animation program. But, like all other things in life im sure you get out what you put in. I plan on working really hard, yet of course im still nervous since like i said earlier im kinda lost on where to start ;P i have some pretty good traditional art skills yet i feel brushing up and studying more of a base would definitely do me good!

thank you for replying :)

smalone3d
07-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Gnomon's two year program is about $60k, not including cost of living loans. Ai's 4 year degree program is around $100k, you'll be looking at around that much for pretty much any other private art school in the states. If you're uncomfortable with those kinds of numbers, try going to a CC and do some self-teaching, and then apply to schools that give scholarships.

Shadowstlkr
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
well yeah i know art schools are expensive and personally i think gnomon looks absolutely amazing, do they give good financial aid? and i'd probably do their 3 year program if i went there. Also i've heard you shouldn't work when u go there since its so intense. Do you know anything about the financial aid? do they give scholarships or anything like that? or would i be completely paying for the 80000 plus education? thanks :)

Dare-o
07-10-2010, 08:47 PM
or would i be completely paying for the 80000 plus education? thanks :)

im pretty sure you can get a student loan or something along those lines.

spidex
08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
You know ? IN LA ? even the santa monica community college is decent.
This is totally different from other states where talents are not readily avaliable to teach the subject that pertains to this industry.
You are lucky to be in LA !

smalone3d
08-02-2010, 12:53 AM
well yeah i know art schools are expensive and personally i think gnomon looks absolutely amazing, do they give good financial aid? and i'd probably do their 3 year program if i went there. Also i've heard you shouldn't work when u go there since its so intense. Do you know anything about the financial aid? do they give scholarships or anything like that? or would i be completely paying for the 80000 plus education? thanks :)

Their 2 year program is eligible for the federal pell grant. The one year program, which is just traditional design, is not.

The 3 year program, which is a combination of the 1 year traditional and 2 year high-end CG programs, is as of right now in the process of being approved by the government to be eligible for FAFSA, and might be done by the end of the year.

But yeah the rest of the tuition can be paid by student loans, as well as cost of living $$.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2010, 12:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.