PDA

View Full Version : Find target another particle system?

Pongo
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Is it possible to have particles attracted to other particles?

I would like to set up a system where a small number (maybe 20-30) particles seek out the particles of another system, and then trigger a new event when they contact,... destroying the one particle, while the "attacking" particles moves on to the next victim.

Can this be done in PF without additional plugs?

Thanks for any help.

JohnnyRandom
07-07-2010, 07:12 PM
With Box#3 it is a snap. Literally, 2 systems and a 5 sub-ops

It may be possible to bake your target flow, seed some particles on the baked objects and gather the position data for use with the script vector channel. That is a big maybe though, I am not sure if you can pass pCont.particleVector script operator data between different PF sources, you would have to ask Oleg or Bobo about that.

With Box#3 you have the option to choose a proxy system, AFAIK this isn't possible via pflow maxscript.

EDIT: ...and I think if you could get the stored data your system is going to be slow as molasses, you would be gathering each particles position data, writing it to an array at every integration step then reading that data in the hunter system at every integration step for every particle. Seems it would be system taxing for anything but a low particle count.

charleyc
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I agree with John here about using Box3...it makes it not only easy, but way more powerful. However, there might be a way to do this to some extent with vanilla PFlow....

Try using Keep Apart with a negative Force amount attracted to particles only in specific events (one of the Keep Apart options) ie your target particles. Then, within those target particles use a Keep Apart with a very small radius and an extremely high Speed/Acceleration amount (perhaps no limits what so ever). Then use a Speed Test to send the particles into a new Event. The idea being that one Keep Apart draws them in in a desired fashion, and the next shoots them into a high enough speed to trigger the test (the speed would probably have to bee adjusted in the new event...but you get the idea). The draw backs to this are...1 it may not work too well...2 all your hunter particles will seek out only the closest target particle, switching targets depending on forces applied...3 you pretty much only get a single direction attraction to the target...and 4 if you have very large initial distances between the hunters and targets, you will have to use a very large Keep Apart radius, slowing the system down if there are very many particles.

But it might be worth a try :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.