PDA

View Full Version : A Hobo and His Dollar

BlackSaber
07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
This is one of the assets for my demo reel. I'm stuck with what to do at the moment because I can't find anything else to work on. I would like some critiques on this or even some suggestions to keep working on it.

Here's the link to the play blast:
http://tintedanimation.blogspot.com/2010/07/day-8-of-pcc1.html

Thanks in advance.

rbfeik
07-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Have him start to put his hat back on and then the have the bill come out , that would give it a reason to fly off in the opposite direction.

dpumpa
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I'm glad you're getting it checked while it's still in steppe. It's tough correcting things when you're in spline already.

I just have a few minor things. When he first notices the dollar and sits upright, it takes him a long time to get there. Surprise isn't a slow process. If you want to keep it longer have him follow the dollar with his eyes for a bit as if it doesn't register with him, then have him jerk upright.

When he stands up with the dollar in his hand and he has that look of surprise and joy on his face. Hold it awhile longer. Right now it's just kind of flowing into the rest of the motions. That is a powerful and meaningful pose, you should give the audience some time to register it.

That first step is a bit long, it almost looks like you have 12 frames where the foot is in the air. Bring the foot down sooner and you'll avoid that floaty feeling.

Other then that it's a good start. Thanks for posting. PCC is a tough three months. Make sure you're putting a lot of time into it. I put in about 8-12 hours of lab a day. They grade hard in those courses so make sure you get critiqued, and critiqued often.

Good luck with your work!

rbfeik
07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I read the slow step as showing he was thinking about money, maybe hold it and then move might work better.

MaddogZ
07-08-2010, 03:42 AM
not bad

when he bends down you have to many key frames or you animation curvs need fixed because he kinda jerks

booleanspline
07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I think it's a bit too busy. He always in perpetual motion. I think you need some holds in there. Like when he first grabs the dollar he immediately does a take. There was no pause. It's just always in motion. It makes the timing very even. You need some antic before he picks up the dollar with his hand. He just sort of reaches for it. He does a take when he first sees it blowing, then grabs it and does another take. It's the same move twice in a row. I'd tone one of them down perhaps. Cool idea though.

BlackSaber
07-09-2010, 03:45 AM
I'll get back to work. Thanks for your help.

BlackSaber
07-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I think I fixed most of the timing and most of the popping in the spine. I've added a few more poses to help with the moving holds. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Updated WIP: http://tintedanimation.blogspot.com/2010/07/after-day-14.html

skarab
07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
I think that dollar has to make it all the way into the hat before it blows away. then maybe give it a beat as he watches in disbelief, then he runs after it. In essence, the dollar bill flying away needs some anticipation I think.

BlackSaber
07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Here's an updated play blast. I'm still not to happy about the timing of the dollar. Do you guys have any suggestions?

http://tintedanimation.blogspot.com/2010/07/update-of-day-25.html

rbfeik
07-27-2010, 05:04 AM
After he tries to put it in his hat have it do a couple flips in front of his face and give him a chance to make a futile lunge before it blows away.

rbfeik
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
It take too much time to drop & not enough to blow away - (see previous post)

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.