PDA

View Full Version : Export with mesh name

designingpatrick
07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Is there a way to tell Max that the name of an exported file should default to the mesh's given name in the scene? There by saving the step of needing to specify a name on export- every single time!!!

ecarter
07-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Is there a way to tell Max that the name of an exported file should default to the mesh's given name in the scene? There by saving the step of needing to specify a name on export- every single time!!!

yep, i do that, is really usefull

try this

exportFile obj.name

or something like this, if you want to give the path to export

filetoexport = (path.text + "\\" + obj.name)
exportFile filetoexport

path.txt could be a dropdownlist or text input

designingpatrick
07-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Wow! Thanks.

designingpatrick
07-14-2010, 06:46 AM
I tried it out, but must be doing something wrong: "Unkown property: "name" in undefined"
Of course I tried entering the name of the object instead of "name" I used "midInset_mesh" or what have you.

zortech
07-14-2010, 10:22 AM
The error occured as the object has not been assigned to the variable "obj". With ".name" you access the name property of the object. Here's an example which however will only run if 1 object is selected. If you only want to export geometry, you should check the selection for that as well.

if selection.count == 1 do (
nNode = selection[1]
iType = 16 -- obj filetype
pDir = "C:\\EXPORT\\"
aClasses = exporterPlugin.classes
exportFile (pDir + nNode.name ) using:aClasses[iType]
)

Exporter classes (from maxR8), set by iType

3D_StudioExporterPlugin
Adobe_Illustrator
DWG_ExportExporterPlugin
DWG_Export
Wavefront_MaterialExporterPlugin
Lightscape_Layers
STL_Export
Lightscape_Material
FBXEXP
Lightscape_Preparation
IGES_Export
Lightscape_Parameter
Lightscape_Blocks
SW3D_Exp
nif_export_class
Wavefront_ObjectExporterPlugin
Lightscape_View
ExportHTR
JSR184Exporter
AsciiExp
VRBL_Export
DWF_Exporter

ecarter
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I tried it out, but must be doing something wrong: "Unkown property: "name" in undefined"
Of course I tried entering the name of the object instead of "name" I used "midInset_mesh" or what have you.

i work with the object name and the extension, like this

box.fbx

so

filetoexport = (path.text + "\\" + obj.name) -- obj.name need to have the extension
exportFile filetoexport

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.