PDA

View Full Version : why does orient constraint snap when it's zero weight??

zhenpanda
07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I have a controller orient constraining a joint in rotation
but when I change the weight to zero it snap back to it's start location
why doesn't it blend smoothly and is there a way I can make it so it doesn't snap and just blend between the full weight and no weight?

JayG
07-06-2010, 08:53 PM
A parentConstraint will let you blend properly with only one target. You could use a parentConstraint and then disconnect the translation attributes, then animate the weighting there.

I believe if you have more than one target with an orient constraint you can animate the weighting, but not with a single target.

zhenpanda
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I believe if you have more than one target with an orient constraint you can animate the weighting, but not with a single target.

if i'm only working with one joint what should the second target be?

JayG
07-06-2010, 10:49 PM
If it were me I'd use parentConstraint like I said above, but if you need to use orientConstraints I suppose you could just have an empty transform node with the same pivot and orientation as the object and have that be your second target. It's only purpose would be to enable blending.

zhenpanda
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
If it were me I'd use parentConstraint like I said above, but if you need to use orientConstraints I suppose you could just have an empty transform node with the same pivot and orientation as the object and have that be your second target. It's only purpose would be to enable blending.

thanks im using an empty group and a remap node to blend them seems like it won't break for now

olivier georges
07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
that 's because the restpose is not considered as a target and because all the weights of a constraint are normalized to 1.0 inside the constraint. if you have only one target, .5 is considered as 1.0 ... If the restpose has been considered as a target, the result would be .5 on the target and .5 on the restPose.

My custom target developped with maya's Api considered the respose as a target as soon as the weight sum is under 1.0 ...

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.