PDA

View Full Version : best hard surface patch modeller?

tcctaylor
07-06-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi List,

I'm after opinions on the best software for hard surface patch modeling. I want to make industrial objects such as vehicles, appliances etc....
I'm looking for software that is good at patch modeling & can project curves on surfaces & create trims etc. I know Autodesk software does this, but looking for other alternatives?
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Autarkis
07-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I've always heard great things about Rhino, but to me I think Moment of Inspiration ( MOI, created by the dev who created Rhino ) takes the crown with its ease of use, how fast it actually is, and the great results that it produces.

Teloni
07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I would also suggest Rhino. Its not bloated like a lot of the other modeling packages, and it has a solid set of tools for NURBS surface creation and trimming. It also has a lot of drafting features like an engineering program so you can model with precision.

wwswimming
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I suggest solid modellers such as Solidworks or One Space Designer.

Just to have a complete list -
Pro-E
Unigraphics
Catia
Autodesk Solids

I couldn't recommend Pro-E or Autodesk Solids.

Solidworks & One Space are my favorites for solid modelling. I slightly prefer One Space (it's B-Rep, not history based like Solidworks) but they will both support industrial strength models. i.e. big, complicated, assemblies, with 10,000 parts, etc.

KevBoy
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I would recommend Solidworks if you are planning to also do more detailed hard surface modeling, so details such as strengthening ribs and lots of complex little cuts and grooves. It is also easy to make production quality drawings from them later.

If you're more into rendering or just the exterior shape, I think a Sub-D modeler such as Modo could do the job for you but it will prove tricky once your model becomes more detailed as Sub-D is very picky about its topology. An interesting piece of kit is T-Splines, it is an add-in for Rhino: http://www.youtube.com/user/tsplines

CGTalk Moderation
07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.