PDA

View Full Version : Constrain lifting a object- plz help

citizenvin
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi friends, I just need to clear this doubt in constrain. In the character animation setup I just need to lift a object[ball].

1. I created a new locator and connected with ball as parent. whenever i move the locator, ball follows.

2. with the hand control and connected the constrain parent with locator. so that when i move the hand control the object follows.

Here i need to take the object at 10th frame. but when i start moving my hand control at frame 5 itself object[ball] is following hand control. I do no how to clear this.

I need to lift the object, taking the ball from one place and then i need to keep it some where.

can you plz help in doing this. i searched many tuto and forum question for this. But i am not getting clear idea. Any video tuto available for this.

will be much helpful..

animatedfox
07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
First of all to answer your question,
When you create a Parent Constraint on an object that has no animation on it you can animate the constraint weight by selecting the "Object"_parentConstraint1 under Shapes in the Channel Editor. There will be an attribute called "Control Oject"WO 1 (the stuff in quotes will actually be whatever your objects are named ie: hand_CTL) just set the value to 1 for on 0 for off and then use RMB -> Key Selected to do just that.
Now, if you set a Key on your constrained object and THEN parent constrain it, you get a little help from Maya in the form of the Pair Blend Attribute that gets added. At first glance the overall effect is the same as setting your constraint weight keys on the Shape node...but it is so much easier to mange your keys with the Pair Blend Attribute in action...and the constrained channels turn green...everyone likes green.

A little side note/suggestion would be to try constraining the parent group/locator of your hand control to the object. (this is assuming that you have a pretty standard character rig. with null groups/locators over each control.) This way you can move the object exactly how you want to get the best motion and the hand will follow along and because you constrained the hand controls parent group, you can still animate the hand to get the best grip on the object. Just a thought that helps me a lot.
All the best.
~Ben

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.