PDA

View Full Version : Maya Vray Multi-pass

sonn
07-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Has anyone used Vray in maya with maya's built in multi-pass render layers? are they compatible? How well is the integration? Thinking about diving back into Maya again and I was wondering how well Vray is integrated. Any help is appreciated! :)

djx
07-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm new to vray, so someone may wish to correct me, but I think that that the pass system is mentalray only. However you can use vray "render elements" instead, and from my limited experience these are so much easier to use. The only thing I miss is the "pass contribution map" concept, but with object and material IDs and some "multi_matte" elements you can achieve almost the same functionality - with much less effort.

David

cgbeige
07-05-2010, 02:34 PM
djx is right - you use the Render Elements to control passes. If you want an Ambient Occlusion pass, add an Extra Tex element and attach a V-Ray Dirt to the Texture.

raimZ
08-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Hi guys,

Along the same lines...how would one export out a UV pass/element using vray in maya? I want to be able to add extra texture details in compositing. I know how to do it with mental ray only.

Raimy

cgbeige
08-04-2010, 04:55 AM
do you mean a material or object ID for masking comp adjustments? I don't follow - sorry.

bigbossfr
08-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi guys,

Along the same lines...how would one export out a UV pass/element using vray in maya? I want to be able to add extra texture details in compositing. I know how to do it with mental ray only.

Raimy

Add extraTex pass. And create your uvpass network.

For contributionmap, just use selectLight pass.

djx
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
For contributionmap, just use selectLight pass.

I know you can use this for a few passes from specific lights, but are you saying we can use it in other ways too?

David

raimZ
08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Ah, i knew it had something to do with the extraTex pass. Thanks bigbossfr. Unfortunately the vray manual is pretty sparse and just doesn't cover all the things you can do with vray for maya. But, what nodes am I supposed to put together specifically to create a uv network?

cgbeige: you know how you can use a normals pass of your render to do some relighting in comp? Well the uv pass allows you to completely change the texture of objects directly in your compisiting software. That's pretty d**m cool.

bigbossfr
08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I know you can use this for a few passes from specific lights, but are you saying we can use it in other ways too?

David

Normally, no.
I think we must ask to ChaosGroup if they can add a "connection feature" (like relationEditor with the lightPass) with all elements and objects (connect an element to objects).
It would be great and we will have the possibility to separate all objects, pass, like contributionMap.

Hasnz
08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
About Contribution maps . Cant we do something similar combining the vrays RenderElements with Maya's RenderLayers .

raimZ
08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I found the vrayVertexColors texture node, which i thought could be exactly what i needed to output a UV pass. I created an extra_Tex render element the connected that node to the texture attribute under the 'extra vray attributes' of the extra_tex. However when i hit render i get a black image with proper alpha.

Has anybody used the vrayVertexColors successfully? I'm still trying to figure out to spit out a uv pass but i'm also curious how else the texture node could be used.

joie
03-16-2011, 11:02 AM
As far as I know there is no way to saparate GI on a per light basis..., which could be done with contribution maps..., now the lightSelect only split direct light per light, but not eh GI contribution at all.

So, is there any way to separate GI on a per light basis?

earlyworm
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
The way to create a shading network which renders the UV coordinates in Maya is to attach a surface shader, create a samplerInfo node and then connect the uvCoord attribute to the colour output on the shader. Like so...

connectAttr -f samplerInfo1.uCoord surfaceShader1.outColorR;
connectAttr -f samplerInfo1.vCoord surfaceShader1.outColorG;

I'm not sure how you'd feed this into an extraTex pass. Sorry, I'm new to vray.

The vray VertexColour node does work (and is handy) but you probably wouldn't want to use it for this.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.