PDA

View Full Version : Francis Jimenez Demo Reel 2010

Bloodlesskys
07-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey all feel free to take a look at my demo reel :D suggestions are very much appreciated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SBSRWj2lFw

TryForce
07-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey there,
I'll start off with thing i really didn't like :)
When after seeing the very 1st sequence (the 2-3sec. one with the top view) I was like:"Hell no...". Not sure why i was thinking that but it was just an awful start in my opinion. You should start with a sequence where the model is shown in a very very slow rotation so you have time to see the model actually.
Also you repeated those rotations to often. You should maybe show only 1 rotation-preview.
Those Text-scene's were kinda unpleasent to look at. Try to use simple picture's with 2 colors and don't change the colors for each text. Make them look as one.
You should also show the legs, i notice they had a good amount of detail, to bad i wasn't able to see more of it.

The polyflow was very clear and good it's a cool model after all. You should texture it :)

I kinda missed some stuff i wanted to say, i might come back about it later. Sorry for my horrible english but i just thought i'd share my opinion befor i forget to.

Fcr3
07-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I would really like to know the name of the soundtrack you used for this, it's brilliant!

Ject
07-18-2010, 11:43 AM
You might consider just doing the rendering multiple times with the different passes and fading seamlessly between them (e.g. final becomes wireframe, wireframe becomes lit, etc...). It makes it flow more smoothly. If you want to keep the titles, you can put them in the corner when you fade to a specific pass. And by the way, you misspelled 'College' in the final info frame (unless you intended to say 'Collage').

DoctorMonkeyFist
07-19-2010, 01:51 AM
Your demo reel is one untextured model?

RmachucaA
07-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Your demo reel is one untextured model?

I asked the same thing myself.

Its not a demoreel, its a model showcase.

A few things, camera movements are obnoxious, theres a reason the turntable method is used so often.

The color transitions are just distracting and not needed.

In the intro, its hard to quickly and efficiently read your name\info, it should be clear\direct. People who go through reels want to go through them quickly, not have to syphen through the animations\colors\transitions to get your information.

Testure
07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
rule #1) if you don't know how to animate a camera, don't animate a camera.

this is what we call in the industry, a 'vomit cam'. it's literally disorienting to watch and the bright orange background certainly isn't helping. take a look at other demo reels that are widely praised, and start writing down a list of things that they do (besides the models). things like: slow/subtle camera moves, neutral backdrops that don't compete with the focus (the models). soft transitions from wire to shaded to textured, etc.

this is just a critique on the presentation itself, as others have said- one untextured model is not a demo reel.

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2010, 09:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.