PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Trampy

Pengy300
09-22-2003, 01:34 AM
This is just too interesting an idea to pass up. My concept is for the 1st female dwarf. She is not from the same village as the other 7 so don't get the wrong impression. Because of this her looks are somewhat different. She likes to play the field shall we say,and besides the dwarfs have to spend their money on something now that Snow White has left. Concept sketch is done and I have started modeling just have to get scanner fixed so I can post it. Good luck to everyone! should be a great contest

JTalbotski
09-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Good idea! Looking forward to seeing your concept.

Jim

Zaryin
09-22-2003, 10:31 PM
If the Smurfs did it.... :)

Pengy300
09-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Finally got things to work. Ain't technology wonderful..:) Here she is.

JTalbotski
09-23-2003, 10:14 PM
The name definitely fits the character's looks!

Zaryin
09-23-2003, 11:02 PM
HAHAHA! I love it. Can't wait to see the model.

Pengy300
09-26-2003, 02:57 AM
got the head just about done still some tweaking to do. I think I might have found a bug no crashes just something I think should work but doesn't. I am modeling have mirror mode on and my bounding box won't highlight all the cp's. Fix turn mirror mode off doh! is this a bug or am i still just really new?

JTalbotski
09-26-2003, 04:45 AM
Well...uh, it's not a bug. ;)

Keep going, I love the hat!

Jim

Pengy300
09-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys. It's making me nervous I feel like I'm not doing something right I haven't had a crash yet in 10.5J. This is my first female model, does anyone know of any good female form tuts? Now on to my first foray into doing hair.

Pengy300
10-01-2003, 02:28 AM
hey I feel better now had my 1st crash, copy/flip/attach>undo..hello desktop! I think I might have found a legitimate bug this time. It's no biggy , doesn't cause any problems I can see but just strange. If you click your mouse wheel to the move tool then holding down wheel right click. Then you left click anywhere outside window the move tool locks on until you click mouse wheel again. Works the same in both 10.0n and 10.5j. Can someone offer some advice on hair? I follow the tut and create a new material..blah blah blah ..but I can't see the new spline I create for my hair listed in the folder. Do you have to do the hair in a new model window and import it? Anyways here an update of Ms. Trampy

JTalbotski
10-01-2003, 02:50 AM
What hair tute are you following?

Here's a quick rundown on how I do the hairguides.

1.Go to the options panel and turn on show advanced properties.

2.Create a material, change to particle/hair. Blah, blah, blah.

3. Create a spline. And select one cp.

4. Right-click (PC, Control-click (Mac) on the selected cp and choose "select cp".

5. Look at the PWS for a selected cp number in the splines folder and note the spline it belongs to.

6. Drag the hair material down to that spline and see the hairguides control handles appear on the spline with hair following the shape of the spline.

It's better to work with the hairguide spline with a low setting for the hair density, so you can see what you're doing better and get faster redraws.

Jim

Pablo
10-01-2003, 11:58 AM
http://server2.hostpoint.ch/~novamvia/pablotest/TutorialHair/TutorialHairGuide.htm

Bugle
10-01-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by JTalbotski
Well...uh, it's not a bug. ;)

Jim

How is it not a bug Jim? I'm dealing with it right now and it's pretty annoying - mirror mode makes random cps unselectable, even when it's switched off. Just because it doesn't actually cause a crash doesn't mean it's not a bug...

I await enlightenment :)

EDIT: doesn't actually make 'em unselectable when off, but it did remove the CPs from a named selection I was using. ANNOYING!!! :banghead:

JTalbotski
10-01-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Bugle
How is it not a bug Jim? I'm dealing with it right now and it's pretty annoying - mirror mode makes random cps unselectable, even when it's switched off. Just because it doesn't actually cause a crash doesn't mean it's not a bug...

I await enlightenment :)

EDIT: doesn't actually make 'em unselectable when off, but it did remove the CPs from a named selection I was using. ANNOYING!!! :banghead:

Bugle,
When I responded to Pengy300's post I was just explaining that the results Pengy300 got was the way mirror mode works. You can't select a cp and it's mirrored cp when in mirror mode. So when Pengy300 tried to select all the cp's in mirror mode, some wouldn't select.

Now you're talking about something else here. The way A:M acts when you turn OFF mirror mode IS probably a bug. What I have done to kind of clear the mirror mode out completely (until I use it again) is to turn off mirror mode and then do "a select all" a couple times, or select some cp'c and then hit "/" (group connected) a couple times. Not elegant, I know.

Okay everyone, let's report it as a bug.

Jim

Pengy300
10-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the help on the hair Jim, I was missing the select cp step. Bugs are the worst part about being new I never know if its something dumb I have done, if its supposed to work like that or what. Any C&C from any one would be greatly appreciated.

Pengy300
10-02-2003, 01:34 AM
Still not happy with the head but I did get the boots finished.

Bugle
10-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Jim, sorry for being snappish, I had a doozy of a mirror mode bug - dropping mirror mode in choreography caused my model to react like it suffered explosive decompression. Really funny in a slash your wrists longitudinally flavour of funny :)

So I kinda saw red there for a moment :)

Pengy> Sorry for hijacking your thread. I too was thinking of doing a female dwarf but I just don't have the time - good luck with her :)

Pengy300
10-02-2003, 09:01 PM
No worries:)

Bugle
10-03-2003, 12:25 AM
She looks like a 1920's slapper - is that the look you were going for?

One comment I'd make is that it looks like the mesh is shiing away from the cartooniness of the design a little... If you have a roto to copy from, might as well copy it (Not that you can't change things as you work on 'em...)

The hips, skirt aren't as flared as in the drawing, face is slightly narrower...

Pengy300
10-06-2003, 09:12 PM
1920's flapper..well ahh..gee..if that's what you see then we'll go with it.lol Thank you for the crits Bugle. I didn't like the head so I scrapped it and started over, I like this 1 better. Again any C&C would be greatly appreciated.

Zaryin
10-06-2003, 09:37 PM
That head is alot better. I like it more as well.

JTalbotski
10-06-2003, 09:40 PM
The head looks much better! Can you post a larger image of the head or just a closer shot. Preferrably with the splines showing, too. You can just do a screen capture of you model in shaded wireframe, in case you aren't able to render a shaded wireframe to file like most people can't.

Jim

Pengy300
10-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks. Here's a screen grab of the head, not a pretty mesh I know. Is there some reason why people have circular splines running from the nose around the mouth and others have vertical ones like me coming down from the eyes?.. Does it allow for better control over the nose geometry? Also what's the deal with the tartan render when you render shaded wireframe? First time I tried it that's funky..lol

Pengy300
10-06-2003, 10:24 PM
srry here's the pic ..hard to get half decent copy under 20 000..lol

Zaryin
10-07-2003, 12:07 AM
I don't know if it helps either way. I usually model both ways. Depends on how i feel at the time, or the shape of the head :).

Looking at your splines I think you should try to get more smoothness between cps. Just keep tweaking them until you get a smooth running spline. Most modeling is the tweaking after making it.

Pengy300
10-12-2003, 03:53 AM
Got more of the clothing done. Is there an easier way to do hair than using the guides? I can't seem to get it to look right. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Pengy300
10-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Wohoo I figured out the hair, also added eyes and more materials.

Zaryin
10-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Wow, she is really coming along. She should settle down. She's got good birthin' hips ;).

Pengy300
10-25-2003, 01:37 AM
Settle down? How could she do that and still keep all the dwarfs happy? I've started rigging her, first time I've tried to rig. I'm experiencing a pretty major problem and could use help. Is there a way to constrain the under garments so they don't pop through the skirt when I bend her? I think I'm going to have to use fans on the shoulders but luckily the knees seem to be behaving ok. Any help would be great

JTalbotski
11-02-2003, 04:01 AM
Pengy300,

Wow, she really came out very nice. I love the blue eyeshadow, nice touch! It's good to get a better look at her. I know Schlitzy's been keeping his eye on her, too.:beer: He thinks she knows how to party.

Congratulations,

Jim

Pengy300
11-03-2003, 08:07 PM
I've potested finished render here http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=100193 it wouldn't let me have duplicate pic posts

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.