PDA

View Full Version : Learning Maya | Beginner's Guide DVD and Maya PLE

tron_thomas
09-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Alias says that the Personal Learning Edition (PLE) of Maya 5 will be available free for download sometime this fall (whatever that means).

However, right now for only $19.99 a person can purchase a DVD called Learning Maya | Beginner's Guide. This DVD is suppose to include Maya 5 PLE on it.

As someone who has only a little experience using Maya, I was thinking that it might be worth while to buy the DVD, even though the PLE will be a free download when it is eventually available.

Can anyone comment on this DVD? How useful would it be for getting started with Maya?

Also, web site for the DVD doesn't mention which platforms versions (Window, Macintosh, etc.) of Maya are included on the DVD. I currently use Maya 4.5 PLE on my Macintosh G4 system.

If I buy the DVD will I be able to install the new version of Maya on my Macintosh?

Also, Maya 4.5 PLE was available only for Windows and Macintosh. Does anyone know if Maya 5 PLE will also be available for Linux?

Tex3D
09-22-2003, 12:05 AM
I'm a MAX user, but I have been wanting to switch so I bought the DVD/PLE package for 4.0. Overall I'd say that I was pretty pleased with it althought the narrator can be a bit dry at times, and the pace is a bit slow.

I wouldn't mind if they sped things up just a hair, but then again I am a bit impatient anyways so ..:shrug:

Overall I'd say it's a pretty good deal for $20 bucks. There's always a lot of free stuff out there, but I do like seeing an OFFICIAL Alias DVD in my collection.:D

-Dave

If they had anything that cheap for Max I'd scoop it up in a heart beat!:drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.