PDA

View Full Version : Fishing With Sam - Short film

Atle
07-01-2010, 10:16 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3383915/FishingWithSam_2009.jpg

Hello

My short film Fishing With Sam is now online.

http://www.atle3d.com/fishing-with-sam.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnx_3BC7EM

Written and directed by Atle S. Blakseth
All CG by Atle S. Blakseth
Music composed by Gaute Storaas
Sound mix Bent Holm / Chimney pot
BG Consepts by Joachim Barrum

Brg

Atle S. Blakseth
www.atle3d.com (http://www.atle3d.com)

homer4lyfe
07-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Fun short. Pretty solid animation and production. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the SFX for the polar bear. The "bear noises" he made seemed like a much bigger bear than was the actual character. I would have expected a much bigger and possibly fatter bear. Small picky point I know. Also some shots probably could have been edited a little more tightly. However all in all you seem like you've put a lot of hard work in and got a pretty great result from it. Well done.

ConnortheCraftmaster
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I didn't really care for the show, but thats just an opinion and preference of taste, not a detriment to the quality of your animation.

Analytically speaking, I was hard pressed to find anything incorrect or jarring about the animation itself upon the first watch (which is the most important watch), but here we go. Since I'm not really well versed in sound or music production, I am not going to comment on that much but from my perspective it was convincing.

-2:22 seemed a little clumsily animated in regards to the scarved penguin; the face is devoid of expression and the movement just didn't seem right. Its like you guys forgot to animate his face. Another thing I noticed is that it looks like the bear is looking past the penguin rather than at it.

-The penguins almost look like they are wearing underwear. To me this is kind of jarring as the rest of their bodies seem to be much more fluid-looking than their legs.

-The plot that leads up to the Bear/Walrus capturing the scarved penguin could have been scripted better. To me, it wasn't clever or surprising as I watched the events unfold. It was actually kind of anti-climatic. However, this point can be rendered mute because I can be considered someone outside target audience (which seems like its geared towards younger individuals, in which case this plot would be easier to grasp and understand)

Other than that, I really don't see anything else to criticize. On the positive side:

-The backgrounds have a stylized and simplistic look that I think fits very well with the theme. The characters match the detail level of their environment which is a plus.

-I found it interesting (in a positive way) that you used actual animal sounds for the character's voices. I bet it wasn't easy to hunt down/buy those sound effects and use them accordingly. Very impressive.

- The animation from a technical standpoint works nicely to convey what your team was aiming for. I especially liked the fluid and abundant movement of the bear in the first part and it makes for a great "catalyst" moment to kick off the show, a lot of subtle detail in movement there.

I hope you find my review enlightening. Overall, not a bad animation.

Atle
07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Thank you for your kind replies!
I know the film is far from perfect, had a hard time letting the poorly animated scenes go. Had to do an average 3 seconds of animation a day including 3dstoryboarding and layout to get it finished within a reasonable amount of time.

The quality varies some, I tried to keep the animation at fairly the same level throughout the film, but i some cases some shots got more attention than others. The beginning got as you pointed out more attention than the terrible penguin shot at 2:22 :) Its always painfull to watch :)

The bear sound is a combination of real bear sounds, and human mixed in, or only human. The seal is almost only sealsounds. The penguins are my voice pitched throughout the film.

A

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.