PDA

View Full Version : Help on lighting this scene

MonkeyError
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Hello,

I am currently trying to light this scene for my demo reel. I want to make it seem like there is an overcast, but the middle of the room to be lit by the fireplace. I got the fire to work, but I am not sure how to go about lighting the rest of the scene. I have posted a picture of what it looks like as of now. Any help and feedback is appreciated.

Here is the picture:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1079/enviornment4lighting.png

playmesumch00ns
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Hello,

I am currently trying to light this scene for my demo reel. I want to make it seem like there is an overcast, but the middle of the room to be lit by the fireplace. I got the fire to work, but I am not sure how to go about lighting the rest of the scene. I have posted a picture of what it looks like as of now. Any help and feedback is appreciated.

Here is the picture:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1079/enviornment4lighting.png

Ok, first things first, composition. Give some thought to where you want to place your camera because right now your image is flat and boring. What story do you want to tell with the picture? What information do you want the viewer to know?

You could maybe try a low angle with a wide lens showing the trees towering over the building, making it feel like the forest is closing in on the ruin... or you might try a very high angle with a long lens showing the building isolated in the middle of the forest (would probably require you to matte paint the rest of the forest)

Once you've got that sorted it'll be easier to dictate the lighting. You say you want the room to be lit by the fireplace, but I see none of that at all. Start with just the fire light and nothing else, give it a strong, almost quadratic falloff and see what forms you can pick out. Try moving the furniture around so they catch the light in interesting ways. Then split the fire into 3 or 4 sources so it softens the effect. You can then animate each of these sources to give flickering, dancing shadows. Make sure to give it a nice deep orange colour.

Then look at the environment lighting. You say you want an overcast look, but you've got a bright purple sky. Find some night-time cloudy sky photos on the internet as reference (and you can modify them to use as a background). If you want a more stylized colour palette, then grade the photos in photoshop or something to your taste.

Ideally you'd use ibl with an hdri for the environment lighting, but for speed and simplicity you could probably just use an ambient-occlusion-based solution...

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.