View Full Version : HMC #26 Frank Frazetta Tribute -Death Dealer

Poisen
07-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Going for it..;)

http://www.gwthomas.org/frazetta01.jpg

Poisen
07-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Starting on the horse.

Have never done one before, and its not a "typical" horse by anymeans.

Anatomy is of course a pain "for me anyways" really just trying to lay down a good base mesh and get the volume and proportions started.

A loooong way to go here.

J.B.

WyattHarris
07-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Good start, you've got a solid frame to start building the rest of the anatomy details on.

Ballo
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I love that refenrence for a statue, I would like to be so brave to take but is a lot of work, but i love it1

TiMrozek
07-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Best of luck to you. I was looking at this one but didn't have the time to do this challenge. Happy someone is doing this one.

Poisen
07-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone..

i am refining the shape some more and started adding some details and trying to get the proportions going in the right direction and i must say, the horse is a freaking TANK!

no sea-bisquit styled racer here. ;)

Poisen
07-02-2010, 08:20 PM
so far and some test posing.

GerR
07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey Poison. I did a PO to help you with the horse anatomy.
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2615/horsepainty.jpg

You seem to have a knee cap half way down the leg the knee is actually right up next to the body. Most 4 legged animals have 2 joints on the lower back leg that bend away from the center of the body.

Hope that helps. Keep it up.

Poisen
07-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey Thanks GerR!

when i was posing the back leg i knew something wasent right, lol.

that helps me visualize it alot better.

much appreciated!

J.B.

Tomol
07-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Here (http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/WebZ/initialize?sessionid=0&javascript=true&dbchoice=1&active=1&entityCurrentPage=Search1&dbname=Science&style=Science&next=NEXTCMD%7FSortedQuery?&context;&termsrch=%28ti%3D+%28Veterinary+Anatomical+lllustrations%29%29&fmtclass=gallery&next=html/nfbrief.html&bad=error/badsearch.html&entitytoprecno=1&entitycurrecno=1&entitytempjds=TRUE&numrecs=12%7F) is a pretty good link for horse reference.

Ballo
07-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the link Tomol, I was looking for feline references and at the end of the link you can find them.

Intervain
07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Well, I was wondering when somebody finally tackles that one - it's a great illustration - really looking forward to what you do with it. :arteest:

Ballo
07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
offtopic: oh it's nice see other fan of this new doctor who season. :)

Intervain
07-06-2010, 12:28 AM
lol not a fan - fan-atic more like :scream: ...and that is not how I'm introducing myself ;)

mancubus
07-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Good choice - classic. I think thats one of those Frazetta paintings that you would never forget.
I will look closely to this one, well... because I also have a muscular horse to do ;) Good luck.

Poisen
07-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Had a little more time today.

Thanks for the link Tomol!

reworked the horse some more, still refining.

its kind of a pain because the Frazetta horse is pretty stylized in proportions as well.

again,
thanks for all the comments and support, i am going to try to do it up right! ;)

now, back to work to try to earn a living! lol

J.B.

GerR
07-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Actually it doesn't really seem all that stylized. It looks like it is a clydesdale or even a draft horse, particularly because of the overall proportions.

http://mydailyservings.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/clydesdale_jpg.jpg

It just has some extra muscle packed on it. ;)

chichiri
07-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Great work on the horse but I agree with GerR, it isn't at all a stylised horse.

Poisen
07-07-2010, 06:30 AM
when i said styized i meant the the small angles and in the overall shape of the horse.

the sharp hoove's, the on steroids type musculature etc, the little stuff that seperates the "painting" from a "photograph".

if you had 8 of them that looked like that and pulling a wagon full of beer kegs, budwieser might seem like a better beer! ;)

know what i mean?

also consider a man sized "deathdealer" sitting on that clydsdale in proportion..
human sized it would look like a little kid in armor with a shield and an ax.

but then again DD might be 10 or eleven feet tall!
i notice that his feet are pretty close to the ground in the illustration lol.

J.B.

GerR
07-07-2010, 06:38 AM
when i said styized i meant the the small angles and in the overall shape of the horse.

the sharp hoove's, the on steroids type musculature etc, the little stuff that seperates the "painting" from a "photograph".

if you had 8 of them that looked like that and pulling a wagon full of beer kegs, budwieser might seem like a better beer! ;)

know what i mean?

J.B.

Hahaa totally. Yeah he is definitely a steroid abuser.

Poisen
07-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Bit by bit..

Doing the odds and ends, and trying to keep my polycounts on my objects even so when i merge them all i can get a few more subdivisions for fine detailing.

this challenge is for sure breaking me out of my comfort zone and has me trying new stuff.

on the helmet and a few other things i am taking more than a little artistic license because ole' DD's equipment and details are quite different in each reference source im looking at,
so on some things i am just going to wing it and pile it on. :arteest:

J.B.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2010, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.